Natural Gas Regulator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There,

Yesterday I decided to brew a dry stout (AG #5), and all was well
until I tried to put the kettle on the boil.

I fired up the mongolian burner, normally anything over a 1/4 turn
starts to scare me, but yesterday, I had to run the burner fully open
and even then I had to raise the height of the burner to touch the
bottom of the kettle..... I normally bring the mash to boil in approx
15 mins, yesterday it was at least an hour before I could achieve a
very minimal rolling boil....

I had to keep checking the burner to make sure it was running, as I
could not even hear it running.

I brewed the same beer last weekend, and not a problem.....

My question is has the regulator died? I couldnt think of it being
anything else, and being gas I didn't want to start pulling things
apart.

Has anyone experienced this before? I hope to fix this issue this
week, so I can brew again on the weekend...

Cheers,
Jase

have a good look to see if there is any dirt in the inlet..

do you have a bayonet type fitting or is it hard plumped? if its a bayonet then give it a good clean, even connect the pipe that goes to your burner and have a look/listen for the flow. you can make an easy man-o-meter with a u of clear pipe and some water to see how much pressure you have, check at your burner and then at another location..

on my 'friends' NG regulator 'he' turned the pressure up, to do this remove the black plastic cap on top of the regulator and tighten the plastic screw inside as tight as it will go. this will give you more gas for your money too. but i dont recommend doing this as it most likely not legal.

i would say you problem would be dirt somewhere

have a good look to see if there is any dirt in the inlet..

do you have a bayonet type fitting or is it hard plumped? if its a bayonet then give it a good clean, even connect the pipe that goes to your burner and have a look/listen for the flow. you can make an easy man-o-meter with a u of clear pipe and some water to see how much pressure you have, check at your burner and then at another location..

on my 'friends' NG regulator 'he' turned the pressure up, to do this remove the black plastic cap on top of the regulator and tighten the plastic screw inside as tight as it will go. this will give you more gas for your money too. but i dont recommend doing this as it most likely not legal.

i would say you problem would be dirt somewhere

Hi absinthe,

I pulled all the fitting apart and gave everything a clean, put it all back together, but still the same result.

I have a bayonet type fitting. How do you make a man-o-meter?

Failing that, I may need to find a mate who has a bayonet fitting to see if the burner is still ok, and whether it is a pressure issue at my place!

Cheers,
Jase

Latest posts

Back