Mythbuster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydmeddler

Reaction score
Myth:

If I put a newly bottled beer on my radiator, the heat will speed up the carbonation process and I won't have to wait 2-3 weeks to crack it open? The myth goes - it will be carbonated fully in a few days. Although... I do think flavour may be affected somewhat.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Cheers

Floyd

thats just bullsh..t

just the opposite is right.

the colder the beer, the faster the carbonation.

Cheers mate :icon_cheers:

I think colder liquid absorbs gas faster, but fermentation takes time.
Let it go, don't smoke it.
Patience.

I think the question is about bottle conditioning, rather than carbonation as such. Zwickel is correct if you are kegging.

Given that, I think keeping the beer warmer will allow this process to occur faster than if the bottles are colder. However, there must be a limit to how warm you can have it before the yeast start to give up the fight. I think up to about 28 to 30C is OK, any warmer I wouldn't do it.

I don't know what this would do for the quality of your beer. Personally, I prefer to let mine take their own time at my usual storage temperature of around 20C.

I think the question is about bottle conditioning, rather than carbonation as such. Zwickel is correct if you are kegging.
Oh sorry....I just thought about carbonation, not fermentation ;)

apologies :icon_cheers:

Hmmmm... somehow having a myth busted without seeing a large and un-necessary (yet very entertaining) explosion just does't seem right!

:icon_cheers:

AHB mythbusters would be a great idea, first come up with a list of different brewing techniques, styles, practices etc that are supposed to cause a very specific negative, or positive impact on the final product. Brew something and seperate it on this single factor (using one brew if possible), and as close as humanly possible keep all other factors constant. At the end, a blind taste test from impartial observers!

Sure to cause some hefty debate...

AHB mythbusters would be a great idea, first come up with a list of different brewing techniques, styles, practices etc that are supposed to cause a very specific negative, or positive impact on the final product. Brew something and seperate it on this single factor (using one brew if possible), and as close as humanly possible keep all other factors constant. At the end, a blind taste test from impartial observers!

But where are the explosions? and who will grow the walrus moustaka??

Bottle carbing/fermenting goes way faster when they're stored in a warm area. The temps have been around 29+ some days. A batch took just over 24hrs to fully carb, the fastest I've seen. I hope it makes the beer more sexy.

My bottles are usually carbed up within about three days here in North Queensland temps high 20's.
( PET bottles hard ).

Wouldn't say they are very drinkable after that time but they are fizzy.

Always have to test one as soon as poss to see what its like all in the name of science you know ;)

Put 10g of sugar in each 750ml bottle, cap and shake and store in the hottest part of the shed, they'll be carb'd in no time. It's fun then to see if you can drink em before they explode :icon_cheers:

Jesus Wept! Please, nobody mention No-Chill Cubing :ph34r:

Over to you Darren....

Fester Out!

What about that one tiny drop of olive oil totally oxygenates an entire thousand litre wort as well as producing an image of the Virgin Mary in the trub myth that was doing the rounds a few months ago. A bit like "Whenever I have sunk fifteen schooners and get pulled up by a RBT all I do is.... I have an old copper one cent coin in my wallet and I slip it under my tongue... there's something in the copper component that neutralises......."
:icon_offtopic: Or " if we do it standing up then there is no way you can get ...."

Myth:

If I put a newly bottled beer on my radiator, the heat will speed up the carbonation process and I won't have to wait 2-3 weeks to crack it open? The myth goes - it will be carbonated fully in a few days. Although... I do think flavour may be affected somewhat.

Cheers

Floyd

I've had different brews carbonating at temps between 5 and 30degs,( lagers at lower end of course),and never had one ready within three weeks. Maybe because I cube to clear.
Yes you are right about the flavour being affected by high temps.
High temp = blah :icon_drool2:
Myth or not, my best ones arn't ready for at least two months anyway. Some one at AHB suggested one week per FG point ie:FG1012 best at 12 weeks. This has been my target but sampling is permited if no-one is looking. It works well even if you dont quite reach the intended waiting time.
If you need your brews turning over that quick best go to keg. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Myth:

Cheers

Floyd

Lets go back to the OP for a moment, and re-read the sthatement...

Once the beer is bottled, 2 main things occur. The first is tertiary fermentation (ie carbonation caused by the consumption of residual/added sugars) and the second thing is conditioning (the yeast cleaning up various compounds left over from it's activity in the fermentation stages). One makes the beer fizzy, the other makes the beer good.

The tertiary fermentation part will occur very rapidly in hot conditions (similarly to a primary fermentation in hot conditions.) So the yeast will consume the prime, and make co2, quickly. Hot fermentation will cause additional off flavours to be formed...and this extends the time required for the conditioning stage, as there is more for the yeast to clean up. So whilst it will be fizzy quicker, it takes longer to condition, so whats gained on the swings is lost on the roundabouts.

Conversly, if it is tertiary fermented cooler, it will take a lot longer to carbonate, but as a result will have less off flavours thrown during this stage, meaning the conditioning clean up can be shorter....but again, swings and roundabouts when looking at the time of the 2 things together.

And then there is the middle ground, a compromise temperature. Warm enough for the yeast to act rapidly whilst throwing out a minimum of off flavours....

And a lot of this depends on the type of yeast, and the type of flavours it will produce at the warmer end of it's reccomended temperature range, and whether those particular flavours are acceptable (or even desired) in the type of beer being produced.

Back