Mystery Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parrothead

Reaction score
Brewed this one this afternoon:

.5lb [220g] 60L crystal
.5lb [220g] chocolate malt
.5lb [220g] Carapils
.25lb [110g] roasted barley
2lbs [904g] Muntons light DME
500g Coopers brewing sugar
1 Muntons Irish Stout kit
Nottingham dry yeast

Steeped the grains, removed them as the water came to a boil, added the brewing sugar and boiled for 20 minutes. Added extracts and chilled. Made up to 23lt.

It came in at about 1.070 [ooops....I guess that extra brewing sugar wasn't really needed!]
icon_redface.gif

I pitched the yeast about 3 hours ago, and it's bubbling already. It'll be some sort of stout, just not sure which.

Well, considering that right now it's 30F [-1C], it's snowing sideways with the 20mph wind [32km/h], I'll take any warmth I can find!! Oh...did I mention it's winter here?

Sounds like Foreign Extra Stout. Something I've been planning as a next brew for a few weeks now.

Hopefully tomorrow.

Yea, I ran it through BeerTools and thats what it came closest to. The bitterness might be off, but then again I used the Muntons kit, and I have no idea how to guesstimate the hopping in them. Speaking of which, given the fermentables listed, that particular software gave it an OG of 1.048. My reading just before pitching the yeast was 1.068 - 1.070. So, time will tell! :icon_cheers:

.5lb [220g] 60L crystal
.5lb [220g] Carapils
Nottingham dry yeast

Steeped the grains, removed them as the water came to a boil, added the brewing sugar and boiled for 20 minutes. Added extracts and chilled. Made up to 23lt.

It came in at about 1.070 [ooops....I guess that extra brewing sugar wasn't really needed!]
icon_redface.gif

I pitched the yeast about 3 hours ago, and it's bubbling already. It'll be some sort of stout, just not sure which.

Looks OK to my eyes but I'd be surprised if the OG is anywhere close to 1070. Sure everything was properly mixed when you took a sample? Did you drink/discard the first sample and draw another? Malt in the tap or improperly mixed is a common factor in overly high readings and there's nothing in that recipe to suggest it should push that high.

In Siborg's recent partial thread, s/he mentions an OG reading of around 1100 but realising the mistake, took another and got 1050.

Looks OK to my eyes but I'd be surprised if the OG is anywhere close to 1070. Sure everything was properly mixed when you took a sample? Did you drink/discard the first sample and draw another? Malt in the tap or improperly mixed is a common factor in overly high readings and there's nothing in that recipe to suggest it should push that high.

In Siborg's recent partial thread, s/he mentions an OG reading of around 1100 but realising the mistake, took another and got 1050.

All things considered, I think you may have hit on why that OG was so high. I "thought" I had everything mixed will, but I wouldn't doubt at all that the extracts had sunk lower in the fermenter. I used a wine theif to draw the sample so it came from the bottom. I had originally planned to do this as a 19L batch, but that OG came in [according to my hydrometer sample] at about 1.080, so I went to 23L. Looking back, I don't think I stirred thisone as much I do normally. Thanks!

All things considered, I think you may have hit on why that OG was so high. I "thought" I had everything mixed will, but I wouldn't doubt at all that the extracts had sunk lower in the fermenter. I used a wine theif to draw the sample so it came from the bottom. I had originally planned to do this as a 19L batch, but that OG came in [according to my hydrometer sample] at about 1.080, so I went to 23L. Looking back, I don't think I stirred thisone as much I do normally. Thanks!

Bottled this batch this morning. Snuck a taste when finished...very nice, if I must say. A dry Irish stout, to be sure.
Hope at least 2 are ready by Wednesday for St. Patty's Day!!

.5lb [220g] 60L crystal
.5lb [220g] Carapils
Nottingham dry yeast

icon_redface.gif

In honor of St. Patty's Day [as if I need an excuse]I cracked open two of these, even though they've only been in the bottle for 4 days. Roasty, toasty, good mouthfeel, with that dryness that Irish stouts are known for, even if it is a bit heavy for thay style. The Muntons kit really came through - plenty of bitterness with no added hops. I really must have been off with the OG. I had two and could still function. If it really was 1.070, I doubt that would have been possible. Overall, I'm very pleased. Cheers!

Back