My Water Filter...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent

Reaction score
Gday all
I have one of them double undersink filters that has a ceramic filter as one of em and a charcoal filter as the other, and if you have read the recent post that discusses bad tasting water, you will understand why (taree area water is awful). I rang the water filter company today to ask for a water analysis sheet of what this area's water is like after it has been through one of their filters, and they said they have no idea. He told me I could go and get it tested myself, which I will do one day, but coming up to xmas, can better spend the $60 he reckons it will cost. Basically, he told me that it takes out all parasites and greeblies and chlorine, all the usual stuff you would expect to be filtered out, but when I asked him about hardness, all that othger sort of good stuff, he told me that it would hardly register, as all the carbonates would be filtered out. Now, I am pretty sure that only RO water and Plsen water is that soft, rather than the old ceramic/charcoal filter water. I usually brew british type ales, porters, bitters, IPA's, and APA's, etc, and I wanna start looking at my water to see if brewing salts are required or not. My question is, does anybody else have this type of filter, and know if it really creates very soft water, or does it completely depend on town water? If anyone knows where to find a rundown of Forster or Taree water, I would love the link, a google search didnt provide me with much. I will try and drop in at the council later this week if I cant find anything on the web. Thanks in advance, and all the best
Trent

Trent you should be able to get an Analysis of your water profile from your Water Board supplier.

If (taree area water is awful). You are not going to do much without some serious water filtering try http://www.waterco.com/html_shockwave/home.htm .

It may be cheaper to buy some Spring water for your brewing if you have a local spring you can buy in bulk cheaper

There is a undersink cartridge filter which contains some softning resin

Pumpy

On that website look for undersink purifiers and then Gemini undersink purifiers

You want a CZR /Carbon catridge it has Bacteriostatic properties ,removes heavy metal taste & odour so keep your Mettalica CDs away from it .

Some people uses distilled water for Pilsners but I was always led to believe that it would give you the runsperhaps its Ok when used in the mash

pumpy

I have just installed a cherry barrel (first flush) for my water 200lt.
i filter it ..paper filter.. ..Do i need to check the ph. ...maybe you could do the same...barrel 30 bucks..first flush 40 bucks..
cheers
pj.. :wacko: :beer:

Latest posts

Back