My Second Brew - Swapping yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waratah67

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

So I'm putting together my second brew attempt. I used the spreadsheet guide and the recipe looks like this:

Irish Red Ale
Coopers Draught 1.7kg
LME Coopers Amber Malt 1.5kg
DME Light Dry Malt 0.5kg
Kit Yeast

I'm wanting to keep things pretty simple until I have confidence in my sanitation and fermenting temperature procedure.

My question is: Should I use another yeast apart from the one that comes with the can?

Chris

Not that I have years of experience and dozens of brews under my belt but so far my only bad brew so far consisted of a coopers draught and kit yeast. Although I still have hopes that time will mellow it out I will not be touching that combo again. Vote 2 for a top shelf yeast.

Quite a few yeasts you could use that would probably help improve it. Nottingham I like and a lot of people would probably recommend s05 as a good go to yeast. I've used Windsor for dark ales but not sure if that would be the best pick for this brew. The cooler you can ferment this, the better. I would think fermenting at 17-19C will be as important than yeast choice of you can control the temp.

Yob summed it up, but for a slightly longer explanation: I would recommend nottingham too, as it's clean in taste and so far for me, bullet proof. It allows me to concentrate on my hops experimenting!

Latest posts

Back