My Newest Purchase - Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk75

Reaction score
Here is my new filter...Oh and a great big thanks to Ross @ Craftbrewer!!
Cheers Ross!! :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Beer_Filter_2.JPG

Beer_Filter_1.JPG

Nice,
I was thinking about getting one of those myself.

But, how on earth do you get that full fermenter up there??

Here is my new filter...Oh and a great big thanks to Ross @ Craftbrewer!!

I've only seen photos of the unit on Ross' site, your photos are the first I've seen of the filter attached to something (everyone posts photos of shiny stainless steel thingos but the humble filter .. no)

I see the ball valves attached - what have attached extra that you didn't get off Ross ?

Turto: My guess is he bench presses small children for fun :ph34r:

I've only seen photos of the unit on Ross' site, your photos are the first I've seen of the filter attached to something (everyone posts photos of shiny stainless steel thingos but the humble filter .. no)

I see the ball valves attached - what have attached extra that you didn't get off Ross ?

Hey Fatgodzilla,
I only purchased the filter housing and filter cartridge from Ross, all the stainless I sourced myself...as soon as I get in touch with Dane I will be retailling various stainless parts...stay tuned ;)

Looks rather precarious maltaddict :blink:
I can't quite tell how secure that fermenter is up there in the stratosphere (what's nailed to what, etc.).
I pressume you must feel sure that there is no risk of something failing, otherwise you'll have one hell of a mess !

Also, I don't quite understand why you'd be filtering from one fermenter to another?

Also, I don't quite understand why you'd be filtering from one fermenter to another?

Instead of just racking as normal he may be filtering at the racking stage ready for bulk priming prior to bottling / kegging.

Pok

Instead of just racking as normal he may be filtering at the racking stage ready for bulk priming prior to bottling / kegging.

Pok

Yep, that's it...filtering into my bottling bucket(fermentor) ;)

personally I'd just go from the bench to the floor. The extra head isn't worth the risk.

Also toss the first 100ml or so to get rid of anything that flocculated into the tap. this helps to not block up the filter so easily.

Everyone's a critic! But here are some more questions. If you are going to lift the fermenter that high, why not set the filter much lower to get more pressure where you need it to speed the process up? Why not put the hose on the tap in the bottom fermenter and save taking it through the lid?

Why not put the hose on the tap in the bottom fermenter and save taking it through the lid?

Would the gravity be enough to push the beer through a tap under pressure?
I wouldn't have thought so, my guess is it would be equalised, but I have never tried it and failed at physics.

Edit: After thinking about it for a second, I spose it's not that different from having the hose sitting on the bottom of the 2ndry fermenter. SO scratch all that......

Everyone's a critic! But here are some more questions. If you are going to lift the fermenter that high, why not set the filter much lower to get more pressure where you need it to speed the process up? Why not put the hose on the tap in the bottom fermenter and save taking it through the lid?

The thing is there isn't enough clearance on the tap and I would end up with a kink in the hose...I could sit the bucket up on something but then that's only more stuffin round...it fits nicely through the lid and will work(when I do it - tomorrow, got to get all my bottles ready tnite).
Also it's only a temporary setup for the moment, I may look at alternatives next time.

Maltaddict You have done an excellent job love the tilt on your fermenter to get the last little bit out!!!

but hey have you not got your filter the wrong way up if you dont turn it upside down how you going to get that last litre of beer out ?

and why are you not going straight into the keg http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...si&img=1229

Pumpy :)

Maltaddict You have done an excellent job love the tilt on your fermenter to get the last little bit out!!!

but hey have you not got your filter the wrong way up if you dont turn it upside down how you going to get that last litre of beer out ?

and why are you not going straight into the keg http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...si&img=1229

Pumpy :)

Thanks Pumpy :D
Unfortunately I don't have a keg setup yet and so I'm still bottling all my beer. Kegging is basicly last on my list as I will be concentrating on building my full AG setup first. Once I have my AG brewery setup and complete then I will start on my bar(kegging, etc.)
It will still be a little while before I can start on the bar and kegging...I don't think my landlord would appreciate me missing my rent payments :(

After a lot of drooling over photos of other people's filtering results I've also just got my hands on a beer filter kit today and am very keen to try it out. I found these guys in Melbourne while searching for 1-micron filters. No affiliation, just totally stoked :D

Hydrofil Beer Brewers Filter Kit

Came with OD 3/8" - ID 1/4" tubing & fittings which may be a problem for those who are using 5/16" JG setups, but I intend to filter by gravity running straight from the fermenter and into the keg lid so no dramas here.

For AU$80 which includes a USA made 1-micron absolute filter cartridge and free shipping (mine came by Express Post) you can't go too wrong.

After a lot of drooling over photos of other people's filtering results I've also just got my hands on a beer filter kit today and am very keen to try it out. I found these guys in Melbourne while searching for 1-micron filters. No affiliation, just totally stoked :D

Hydrofil Beer Brewers Filter Kit

Came with OD 3/8" - ID 1/4" tubing & fittings which may be a problem for those who are using 5/16" JG setups, but I intend to filter by gravity running straight from the fermenter and into the keg lid so no dramas here.

For AU$80 which includes a USA made 1-micron absolute filter cartridge and free shipping (mine came by Express Post) you can't go too wrong.
Good find afro - $45 less than the CraftBrewer filter :huh:

Latest posts

Back