My Newest Purchase - Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW after all my posting on that thread I actually sold my filter "unused" (call it an impulse buy) to somebody who now has a lot to do with them on this forum. ;)

Probably a great thing for those who have the inclination... Myself I prefer my beers the way they are. Carefully brewed and some gelatine if need-be and you can still get acceptable results. :)

Warren -

Just in case anyone was wanting to know...it took a whole 10 - 15 mins to filter.
Ended up with 24 x 375ml stubbies and 20 x 640ml Longies...now to clean everything :(

:icon_cheers:

edit(add): I should have informed it was being filtered from secondary

Yep, that's it...filtering into my bottling bucket (fermentor)

Prior to adding some fresh yeast and priming solution :blink: ? I thought the whole idea of filtering was to create sediment-free beer and that it was essentially an appertenant to a kegging setup. Yours is still going to have sediment or be flat. I suppose you are at least getting in some filtering practice for when the kegs arrive. Otherwise I am confused. Also agree with GL about the placement of the filter to maximize the benefit of gravity for pushing beer through the filter and Pumpy about getting out the last liter of beer ... or is there a pickup tube for that?

No need to add yeast, there are still yeast there.
There will be only a slight dusting on the bottom of his bottle instead of some decent sediment.

Well there you go. Learn something new every day. I hadn't heard of people filtering for bottle-conditioned beers and am still surprised that you get any yeast through a 1 micron filter. I guess there would be some benefits of a smaller sediment layer but seems a lot of trouble and expense to go to when you don't end up eliminating the sediment problem -- I mean you are still going to have to be careful when transporting bottles to parties and whatnot, no?

OldBugman is quite correct, no need to add yeast.
Any yeast still living and in suspension will pass through the filter. I will no doubt still end up with a tiny amount of sediment but nothing like I have had in the past.

My priming solution was also filtered, leaving behind all the trub - I filtered through some stainless wool which was compacted very tightly into the funnel hole(also stainless).
There are also many here whom filter before bottling, the main purpose of my filtering and no doubt others, is to remove trub(with reference to hotbreak, etc., not yeast) and hops that haven't been placed in a hop sock.

My bottles don't go to parties, if people want to share in my delights they can do so in the comfort of my own home so no transporting of bottles is necessary. If I have a drink while out, I either drink at a bar or buy commercial beer.

Oh and in total, I lost a fraction over 1L and there is certainly no need to change any heights as it took bugger all time to filter.

.........there is certainly no need to change any heights as it took bugger all time to filter.
my point being the height is great..... but you dont need it that high, you can lower it to reduce the risk of it going all over the place when you do your back in lifting it.

my point being the height is great..... but you dont need it that high, you can lower it to reduce the risk of it going all over the place when you do your back in lifting it.

Oh, ok...my apologies OB, I misunderstood your suggestion...I thought you were saying to make the filter closer to my bottling bucket, instead of being as close as it is to the top fermentor thus using the force(gravity) to push the beer through the filter quicker(better). It wasn't really that hard to lift the fermentor to the height it was at...I knew benching small children would come in handy one day :lol: (joke!!)

Well there you go. Learn something new every day. I hadn't heard of people filtering for bottle-conditioned beers and am still surprised that you get any yeast through a 1 micron filter. I guess there would be some benefits of a smaller sediment layer but seems a lot of trouble and expense to go to when you don't end up eliminating the sediment problem -- I mean you are still going to have to be careful when transporting bottles to parties and whatnot, no?

There was a bit of talk about this a while ago actually - along with a debate about whether yeast multiply in the bottle when bottle conditioning, or whether the yeast thats there was there all along.... anyway, not to reopen that debate.

An interesting point that came out was that a 1 micron absolute filter should pretty much filter out all adult yeast cells, thus clearing a beer from whatever state its in to basically much diamond bright, and indeed diamond bright is what you get - But, experience tells us that if you add priming sugar to a beer thats been filtered through a 1 micron filter, eventually it will carb up.

The theory advanced (by wiser brewers than myself) was that perhaps freshly budded yeast cells were able to just squeeze through the filter, more so if there is a bit of pressure involved. And that these cells rather than multiplying, mature - carb up the beer - and settle out, leaving the finest possible dusting of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Enough to make it slightly cloudy if you are rough, but still much much better than an average bottle conditioned homebrew, even one where finings have been used. Whether you think the results are worth the trouble is of course entirely up to you.

There certainly is no sediment left in a filtered beer that doesn't get priming sugar, but there is a minimal amount in a beer thats been primed. So yeast is growing in some way, either by simply maturing fully, or by multiplying, or perhaps a combination of both.

I wouldn't bother re-pitching. It is perhaps insurance, but slightly self defeating insurance and probably unnecessary.

Thats how I understand it at any rate

Thirsty

BTW after all my posting on that thread I actually sold my filter "unused" (call it an impulse buy) to somebody who now has a lot to do with them on this forum. ;)

Probably a great thing for those who have the inclination... Myself I prefer my beers the way they are. Carefully brewed and some gelatine if need-be and you can still get acceptable results. :)

Warren -

You can get excellent results :)

BYB

Back