My Mates Want To Pay For Me To Make Beer For Them

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say go for it. Also, plant heaps of dope in your back yard for them as well.

...or get some real mates who don't take advantage of theirs'.

I can see the lure of brewing some beer for mates. At the essence of it all it's a compliment. That's why you've considered it, as alot of people here have, myself included. It's a nice thing to offer your beer to friends or for parties. But i've learnt that the appreciation of the effort it oft overlooked or misunderstood.

I've done it once. First and last time. I brewed a triple batch in December 2008 for a mates Australia Day BBQ 2009. Even though he was there when i brewed it, he was of no use what so ever. Became a nuisance if anything. It was a long hot frustrating day. At the end of it we had a good time drinking the beer in the pool. But the thirty odd dollars i got for all my efforts and frustration simply wasn't worth it. Add to that he stored alot of the naturally conditioned beer upside down and never returned my bottles. This annoyed me no end. I've never offered to any one ever again to do it.

When someone asks me if i can do a batch for them, i just politely decline or ignore them to be honest.

If you want to be nice to your mates... just suggest that that they can use your equipment. If they don't know how it works then suggest they sign up here and do some reading like the rest of us. Then they'll have an understanding of what it takes. As suggested before, if this is too much for them, then they should be comfortable continuing to purchase commercial beer.

I can see the lure of brewing some beer for mates. At the essence of it all it's a compliment. That's why you've considered it, as alot of people here have, myself included. It's a nice thing to offer your beer to friends or for parties. But i've learnt that the appreciation of the effort it oft overlooked or misunderstood.

thanks Argon, you've nailed exactly why i even contemplated it, but by reading everyone's opinion on this topic, i think i will most definitely decline.

I would love to get them brewing themselves, so i might try this angle instead....

Cheers,

Nath

Just a thought....

Could you give them beer as a thank you for services rendered eg helping paint a room, tune the car (or whatever skills they have)? No money would change hands. Or would the ATO consider this to be an exchange in lieu of payment with the intent of denying them excise revenue & want to tax you :ph34r: - assuming they find out. :blink:

Alternately, you could be "involved" in what your mates do for you & they could "help" with making the beer. It would be a case of mates helping mates with the level of involvement being the point of potential dispute. eg we painted the loungeroom and made beer together over the weekend. Telling your mate he'd missed a bit & him telling you it's time to add the flavour hops is helping - isn't it?. B)

Just open a microbrewery and be done with it!

You can be making a rod for your own back if these guys blab to others about getting cheap beer, or even if they get used to accessing cheaper but quality beer. I found when I brewed back in the 80's that most mates couldn't give a toss about how much time, care and ingredients you used, just the outcome that they could guzzle. If they aren't interested in learning to brew over time then they are just after a cheap(er) piss up. Maybe do a few brews where they contribute ingredients, with extras for your personal use later, and they must help on brewdays and show a sign they are willing to take up brewing themselves by buying kit and bottles. Otherwise wind it down with them or it will get out of control, then when you pull the pin you'll be the worst ******* in the world. Just the voice of experience, Cheerz Wabster.

I like this idea. Very true and maybe they may not like your beer and then not give you any money or whinge because it was not right. Too much stress mate just get them on the brewing train and help them out with the start, I am sure they will like this much better.
Cheers Chucka

Sounds like you love to brew. You should talk the restaurant owner into becoming a 'brewery-restaurant' and giving you a job as head brewer. B)

PS - only half joking. I'm sure there are (TAFE, etc) micro-breweries that he could hire cheap(er) on the weekend and you can make large batches of a few choice brews. I think that may be how the SA Brew Boys started out.

:icon_offtopic: (slightly)
Well spotted! I do love brewing. Otherwise I wouldn't be on AHB talking to you lovely people! :D

Yeah, if there had been an easy way to do it legitimately we would have done it, but in short way too much red tape when all the restaurant guy wanted was one to two 50L kegs a week. He baulked at my suggestion of him adjusting his liquor license to produce on his premises as I don't think he had room in his kitchen :lol:

You're right - using a contract facility would have been a more sensible idea (will store that idea away under my hat - nice one), but the small volume and amount of money involved would have amounted to pocket change.

Hopper.

Back