My Mate's A Knob

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loikar

Reaction score
Went round a mates place tonight to have a few beers.
Sat back talking about coopers as we were drinking Dr Tims.
The Conversation led to CPA, and my mate reckons that it's called Pale Ale because of the sediment. As in the sediment or murkiness is what makes it pale, and thus a "pale ale". So my Pale Ales are actually just sparkling ales because they lack the "pale" quality.

I laughed at him and said it has nothing to do with it and the sediment is there as a bit of a gimmick and to market it as a somewhat hand-crafted beer.

SO, He's going to call Coopers tomorrow for info, and I said I would post here and print out the replies for him from proper brewers of hand-crafted beer.

So, Please, be my guest and Post away!, I'm looking forward to drinking a free 6-pack of my choice this weekend :)

Fingers

Said mate is a tard and should buy you a carton as a means to beg your forgiveness. Everybody knows it's called Pale Ale because it's brewed in a Pail FFS... Has nothing to do with the Pale Malt used!

Chappo

BeerFingers, He is completely correct and you owe him a 6 pack.

You are correct, your mate is a knob. However the sediment is no gimmick.

Ask him to buy a LCPA, or a Murray's Nirvana Pale Ale...

I thought sparkling ale was cloudy too?

What does he think of Dr Tims? What kind of beer is it?

Sparkling is a pale ale, and the CPA is a gimmick, and I forget. Someone owes me a six pack.

What does he think of Dr Tims? What kind of beer is it?

Its a "Traditional Ale", Drinking it from the can, kinda tastes like less bodied pale.
It's an ok session beer, but that's about it.

i was told dr tims is filtered pale ale .. dunno just what ive heard ..

Its a "Traditional Ale", Drinking it from the can, kinda tastes like less bodied pale.
It's an ok session beer, but that's about it.

Isn't Dr Tims actually the Pale Ale, it's just packaged in a can?

Dr Tim's IS CPA in a can. That's why I was wondering what his thoughts were on it.

No, it's a different beer. Apparently the sediment in the can has nothing to do with the carbonation process.

Bad intel! It's the same beer, carbonated in the can. I'm pretty sure they've got a special type of can that is resistant to damage (polymer coated on the inside?) when there is no internal pressure.

So in summary:

Pale ale is brewed in a bucket as a gimmick with some pretend yeasts to make it cloudy even though it's in a can. It's the same as another beer but different and there's no sediment in it but wikipedia says it's very likely made using pale malts and ale yeast (as does Chappo in a very roundabout way).

I hope your mate can follow all that.

As far as I can work out it's the same basic pale ale but conditioned in steel polymerised woop-de-doo special cans as normal aluminium cans are inappropriate for carbonation. So it goes through the same primary process and presumably would have sediment but the secondary ferment/conditioning container is different.

Isn't the sparkling made from 'sparkling' water and the Pale made from water in a bucket?!? :blink:

I don't know BF, Its sounds like your mate knows about stuff!!

:p

:lol: :lol:

LOL @ Cocko, farkin' great comedy mate :p

Cheers!

Went round a mates place tonight to have a few beers.
Sat back talking about coopers as we were drinking Dr Tims.
The Conversation led to CPA, and my mate reckons that it's called Pale Ale because of the sediment. As in the sediment or murkiness is what makes it pale, and thus a "pale ale". So my Pale Ales are actually just sparkling ales because they lack the "pale" quality.

I laughed at him and said it has nothing to do with it and the sediment is there as a bit of a gimmick and to market it as a somewhat hand-crafted beer.

SO, He's going to call Coopers tomorrow for info, and I said I would post here and print out the replies for him from proper brewers of hand-crafted beer.

So, Please, be my guest and Post away!, I'm looking forward to drinking a free 6-pack of my choice this weekend :)

Fingers

Seriously I think you and your mate should both be punished for drinking the essence of Dr Tim in the first place.

The sentence: drink a case of Adelaide's "Green Death" each (Southwark Pale).

P.S. it's little known fact that the beer is called "Dr Tim's" as he died unexpectedly, and was cremated. He was replaced by his double (just like Elvis in that movie, Bubba Ho-Tep) and his ashes were to be evenly divided amongst the first ten years worth of the "Dr Tim's" labelled beer, after which time Coopers will cease to market the brew.
True story. I heard it from a friend of a friend, who had a cousin who works for Coopers on the loading dock. We were drinking Coopers Vintage at the time.

To be honest, Didn't even think about pouring the can.

didn't taste exactly like a pale, and didn't notice any sediment.

Whenever I buy a box i buy Dr Tims, $10 cheaper for the same stuff.

From memory Dr Tims came out for music festivals like the Big Day Out, where you cant have glass. Because it has a different taste its labelled Dr Tims.

Back