My Local Pubs Keep Taking Away Good Beer On Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowie in space

Reaction score
I live in Wynnum/Manly in Brisbane and like to drink locally. I can walk to any pub in the area which I love. What I don't love is the choice of bland XXXX, CUB and Toohey's beers on tap. The only one I'll drink is usually Tooheys Old. I can put up with that.

A couple of months ago, the Wynnum RSL started serving Fat Yak. So I started drinking there, until one day they stopped serving it. I asked why and it turns out it was just a special they had on that month, a one off special, that is.

Then I noticed the Manly hotel selling James Squire Pale Ale (I can't call it 150 lashes or whatever, makes me cringe). So I started drinking there. Then they stopped serving it. I asked why and they said it was their slowest selling keg (out of about fifteen or so kegs). They replaced it with XXXX Summer. :icon_vomit: They still have James Squire Golden, but that doesn't taste as good as it used to.

We have Celtic Corner Pub, but there is only so much Guinness and Kilkenny I can drink in this heat. All the other pubs that I know of serve only bland beers. I know about tap contracts and I know who owns these beers and all that, so I guess I'm just having a rant.

Bowie

Tell the one place that you enjoyed the beer they had featured for a short while and ask them to feature more beers like this. The distributor will likely have a special every month. I really like Fat Tire 1554. I found it the same way you did, it was "beer of the month".

An easy way to give yourself more "sway value" is write beer/pub reviews for Beer Advocate, Rate Beer or heaven forbid AHB. Ask questions like how many beers do you have on tap, bottles, what are your hours, what is your website? etc...

I am freezy on ratebeer. I'm not a big contributor but the pub owners doesn't know that. They get friendly when you are writing in your journal. If they aren't listed already, list them. It's more work but it helps everybody out. If they have wifi, show them what you are doing and write the review straight to the web.

feedback/recognition and free advertising

If you want extraordinary service be an extra-ordinary patron

My local serves whatever beer i want, its a short walk downstairs. :) A keg setup is the same price as 76 pints, very worth it.

My local serves whatever beer i want, its a short walk downstairs. :) A keg setup is the same price as 76 pints, very worth it.
Some folks like to chat with others whilst imbibing.

Sounds like a pretty typical pub scene to me. They removed them as they were slow selling. This is the problem with "craft", venues struggle to sell good beer when they only have 1 tap of it. Typical issue when the venues are signed to one of the big 2. Smaller selling companies are often happy to give a free keg to the venue to try it out and see if sales opperunities are to be had.

Multiple tap changes are needed to change the dynamic of venue sales. Say, 5 taps. Though whenever i do like seeing Squire IPA on tap :) If they don't.....then one must ask if there is enough of a market to severe ties with the big 2 and go your own.

Make some noise about it!

Some folks like to chat with others whilst imbibing.

or play the pokies

(for Freezekat's info: Pokies = slots)

pokies.jpg

Or rock along to a Meatloaf tribute show :unsure:

My local RSL had Stella and Heineken and even Kilkenny on for a while but went back to the usual. That's business.

Edit: I guess the outer suburbs like the OP's are not the place for introducing controversial new brews, you really have to be situated in an area where the questing vibrant slightly more intelligent classes live, or work, or visit, if you know what I mean, and in the case of Brisbane you are talking about the suburbs where the Craft outlets are getting established, West End, Milton, New Farm, CBD and Valley etc. Always been thus. Yeah I'm questing and still a wee bit vibrant but love living on Bribie with its eight regulars on tap nevertheless :p

Ha if my local RSL had Meatloaf tribute shows i'd drink there more often, and not care about the beer at all :)

BribieG, you're back! You must have slipped through the back door, or perhaps it was the tradesman's entrance.

I know all about your local, Bribie is a second home for me. Unfortunately, Mrs Bowie likes to dabble in the killing fields occasionally. I don't mind the odd punt on the horses or a game of keno...but just feed the man some decent beer!!!!

Move to Ipswich! We have 3 pubs now with craft beer taps and bottles. More to come!

Ha if my local RSL had Meatloaf tribute shows i'd drink there more often, and not care about the beer at all :)
It looks like you have some decent pop. density. I can't believe there isn't something nearby. Hotel tavern, Marina Pub??

If I hear Paradise by the Dashboard Light ever again it will be too soon.

I heard pokey.. This is what I thought. I doubt you are familiar with Gumby and Pokey.

Gumby-and-Pokey_BB08C752-1awqgxn.jpg

Pokey is the horse.

BribieG, you're back! You must have slipped through the back door, or perhaps it was the tradesman's entrance.

I know all about your local, Bribie is a second home for me. Unfortunately, Mrs Bowie likes to dabble in the killing fields occasionally. I don't mind the odd punt on the horses or a game of keno...but just feed the man some decent beer!!!!

Come to me, Bowie, we have malt liquor :icon_drunk:

Bribiepub.jpg

Never mind the animals, I used to get off on Gumby's Sister :icon_drool2:

gumbysister.jpg

Latest posts

Back