my good guys home made kegerator fridge sucks.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks real_beer for your input,not sure i need a fermenting fridge as i can ferment in a 25ltr bucket with lid and airlock in 3 days and leave it to settle for 5 more then keg.
I like your idea liam_snorkel but hmmm how the muck would i do that totaly confused now head is hurting . :beerbang:

Ta yum beer wicked advice thanks mate ,just as i thought its a ducking dim sim .in the manual it says low is 7 seems backwards to me .door gone of freezer and freezer box looks like a w lol as keg would not fit rofpml.yer think ill bin this shit and start from scratch.plenty of good cheap second hand good brands up here.

got to hit the fart sack time to throw my leg over cheers for your help everyone.feel free to leave your coments.

bigcroc64 said:
thanks real_beer for your input,not sure i need a fermenting fridge as i can ferment in a 25ltr bucket with lid and airlock in 3 days and leave it to settle for 5 more then keg.
You'll end up with much better beer especially in a hot climate if you keep your fermenter in a temp controlled fridge. Stopping your beer from bouncing up & down in temperature is the most important thing you can do for it & your success as a brewer at this stage. Your yeast wont be happy trying to work in a climate of 28 to 39 degrees Celsius & if the heat doesn't get you you'll just go troppo from all the disgusting off flavours you'll taste!!! :wacko:
I'd rather drink a cool beer thats been temperature controlled during fermentation than a cold one that wasn't. If your temps are bloody hot in Darwin now I think a fermentation fridge is a necessity for making quality beers regularly. I've seen a video of Kenyans in Africa drinking a banana beer they ferment in a tree trunk for three days but I wouldn't want to taste it myself. You'd be better off just buying commercial beer if you don't control the fermentation temp in that climate.

Sorry to sound so negative but there's nothing worse than having to tip 20lts of hard work down the drain because it tastes like crap.

:icon_cheers:

Take it back and have a look at hisense chest freezers, $300 for a 145L (should fit 2 kegs by my calcs, i hope!) and the next size up is just under $400. I havent got one myself and havent heard either way on if they are any good but they have a 3yr warranty and seem much more effient than an old 2ndhand freezer.

I got a hisense last year for $300, the 215 litre model on special.

Great bit of kit.

Thanks liam_snorkel ok ill suss it out .
Thanks real_beer thats awesome advice and you have helped me make up my mind ,ill keep the gv shitbox in the shed , for fermenting .Oh bugger my fermenter is to big to fit in the shitbox hmmm not another ache. I cant cut the step out of the back i spose that must be were the compressor is hiding.
maxim0200 mate im sure i have voided the warranty by drilling holes in it and bending up the freezer box.Bur i like the sound of that size freezer as i have 1 keg sitting empty ,which is not good coz i have to buy a carton between brews.Would i still need a http://connorbreware...&product_id=144 to stop my brew from freezing or do you just turn the temp way down low . Hey the hisense where did you get it as i have said i live in Darwin which is on another planet.

$345 for a 145ltr might only get 1 in that size ,anyones thoughts please.

Doh im a thickhead just read what i wrote ,sorry maxim0200 it might fit 2 cool ill bring my tape measure Cheers .

bigcroc64 said:
.Oh bugger my fermenter is to big to fit in the shitbox hmmm not another ache.
does your fermenter have a screw on lid?
If so, try taking the lid off and just use some gladwrap over the top and use the o ring from the lid to keep it down
I found with my old fermenting fridge, I had to sit the fermenter on some blocks of wood to get the door to close

I fit a 30litre fermenter in a 140 litre bar fridge no worries. All I did was chop the shelves out of the door.

Yob said:
My bets on disabling the fridge thermostat and running it off the STC1000, should get arctic...

and a 120mm fan to distribute that cold air, it may just be that the cold plate of the freezer that has been bent up is still getting cold enough

i chopped the shevels out to fit the keg but there is a dam step and no way to fit the fermenter.
spork nah mate its a 25ltr push down lid bucket i spose youds call it.

recon ill get a different shape fermenting bucket and wrap it and get a freezer for my kegs.

bigcroc64 said:
recon ill get a different shape fermenting bucket and wrap it and get a freezer for my kegs.
Yeah, go to bunnings and grab a 25L water container

Definately go for a freezer,tucker box type ok.Second hand or give away if your lucky.Set up STC 1000 and y'r laughing.Much cheaper to run than frige too.
I use one for fermenting,best move ever.
I used to live in the gulf,I know what hot is.
Cheers.

Awesome spOrk yep a trip to bunnings with a measuring tape ,sounds like the go Cheers .
wombil thanks mate yep will definatley be going for a freezer ,and keep the bar fridge for fermenting .Cheers to everyone for all your help. :D :beerbang: :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back