My Free Freezer May Only Be Worth What I Spent

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
My sister-in-law and her husband moved house recently and gave me their old chest freezer as they are looking to buy a new one. The price was right so I went to get it but when I arrived, i found that he'd laid it down on an angle with the top lower than the bottom to drain the liquid out of it. I didn't say anything because he was giving it to me for free but now it won't get cold enough (I witnessed it freezing at their house the day before it was defrosted). Is it fairly safe to assume that this is because the refrigerant leaked out when the freezer was inverted?
What does a re-gas cost?

HABAHAGD! :icon_cheers:
Jono.

not as much as a new freezer i bet

Ring a local refrig place give them the model and they should be able to quote. However if it is really old and you need to change it from CFC its gonna cost more.

it shouldn't leak out just from tipping it.. what can happen is oil can run up the refrigerant lines and cause problems.. im not sure how much a regas will cost but you need to find the leak to make it worth while and thats the expensive bit

If you put it right way up and then turned it on straight away without giving it time to letting the oil drain back to the compressor then that may have killed it.

Nah, it sat still and upright for a few days between. I'll have to give it a thorough look over and start makin' some calls.
Thanks guys.
Anyone else got any other suggestions?

HABAHAGD! :icon_cheers:
Jono.

Yeah, i think moving it and then plugging it in may have killed it....
I always waite at least 8 hours before plugging backin , a fridge i've moved...thats what i've always been told...
Why not check out gumtree or even freecycle...might get another one there that costs about the same as what you paid for your last one !
My 2c
Ferg

Latest posts

Back