My First Post - My First Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks everyone, just one more question...

I am setting up a freezer this week to be my fermenting/lagering/conditioning fridge.

Will I get a better beer if I now store my bottled beer at a low temp for a few months? The carbonation seems about right as it is now. I could always cold condition half the batch and see...

What is recomended?

Cheers,

Dave.

As I've said, the length of time to leave it is really dependent on what it is. Hefes and English milds/bitters are best when young. Lagers on the other hand are best well aged. Some are in the middle.
Going back to your original post, seeing as how it is a faux lager (ie lager style, but with an ale yeast) it will probably benefit from a couple of months storage. However, if it tastes good now, don't be put off drinking it. My suggestion would be, make sure that you keep some back to store and try at a later date, but if its good now, start drinking. Just don't scoff the lot in the next few weeks, or you'll not get the chance to see for yourself how it can improve.

Ales are ready so early..... why lager? WHY?

I just cracked a lager that is bottled aged at 10 deg. for 4 months...

Guess what? Its shit house!!

I have a set up to brew ales.. and with in 3 weeks, I can love 'em....

What the f*ck does that mean....

OK, bed now....

Sorry buttersd70, I didn't want you to repeat yourself. I should have worded my question better. It's more the temperature I am wondering about. Will this beer benifit from cold storage as it's really an ale? If the temp doesn't make much difference I'll leave them where they are.

Cheers

No worries mate, I was half cut and probably misread your question anyway ;) . The best temp to store ales at is at cellar temperature, around 12 degrees, if possible. Failing that, if it can be kept around brew temp, its fine. The main thing is stability. The more stable the temp, the better. But this is referring to optimum. IMHO, if it can be kept <20C, I'm not particularly worried. If its at 20-25, I don't worry too much, as long as its not going through wide swings in temp. If its >25, I get a bit itchy. But, sometimes in our climate we just cant do that, it's not practical in terms of space. So no point stressing about it.

The warmer the beer is, the faster it will mature, as well. (in simplified terms.). Both in brewing and many other things, slow and steady wins the race though. At a lower temp, you get a smoother flavour transition.

Latest posts

Back