My First Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitternacht Brauer

Reaction score
I started my first partial two weeks ago . All went well ( Almost boil over in kitchen ) . OG was 1075 . Now It's still got some bubbling action from the airlock so I'm assuming that its still fermenting but the SG reading hasn't moved in five days. Not sure what to do ? Rely on SG reading or wait for airlock to stop ? It's a belguim ale and I have very good temperature 20 Degrees C.
Does taste good now though.

Surly if its still going, the SG should be moving ?? :huh:

Any thoughts would be helpful.

I started my first partial two weeks ago . All went well ( Almost boil over in kitchen ) . OG was 1075 . Now It's still got some bubbling action from the airlock so I'm assuming that its still fermenting but the SG reading hasn't moved in five days. Not sure what to do ? Rely on SG reading or wait for airlock to stop ? It's a belguim ale and I have very good temperature 20 Degrees C.
Does taste good now though.

Surly if its still going, the SG should be moving ?? :huh:

Any thoughts would be helpful.

What is your SG? Is it high or what you expect for the FG? What yeast are you using?
You could probably let it cool down a bit now and leave it for another week. That's what I do with my "big" beers.
i.e. 2 weeks around 20C and then a week at ambient (which is about 16).

The SG has been sitting on 1020 for a week now . Unsure of the predicted FG but I thought that it might go closer to 1010??

The yeast was a saf ale T-58 .

A week at ambient sound good .
Thanks

The SG has been sitting on 1020 for a week now . Unsure of the predicted FG but I thought that it might go closer to 1010??

Thanks

Hmm. Does sound like it might be stuck. How about rocking the fermenter to get the yeast back in suspension a bit?

Thanks
sounds like things are going well. I wouldn't expect the gravity to drop much more if any as you are at 73% attenuation ((75-20)/75 * 100)& the yeast is rated for 67-74% according to here

the bubbles are likely to be co2 comming out of suspension.

Thanks guys I think I'll give a couple of days then bottle I intend to primer with DME.Kits that I have primed with DME are very tasty .Can't wait to taste this one, almost as edgey as when my first kit brew came out of barrel.

Note to self : Slow down on SG intervals or there will be nothing in fermenter to bottle.

sounds like things are going well. I wouldn't expect the gravity to drop much more if any as you are at 73% attenuation ((75-20)/75 * 100)& the yeast is rated for 67-74% according to here

the bubbles are likely to be co2 comming out of suspension.

crozdog is right on the money!

Back