My first brew!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian Brewer

Reaction score
Hey there guys, it's bottling day for my first brew, I did an American style wheat beer done via BIAB. I used 2.5 kg of Weyerman Pale Wheat, and .5 kg of Weyerman Vienna malt, US-05 yeast and Cascades hop pellets. The wort reduced more than I had intended thanks to the length of time it took to get it to the boil (crappy electric stovetop) and I ended up with 17L instead of 19L. I cooled the wort and pitched the yeast at around 22C and let it ferment. Fermentation seemed to completely finish at day 13 but I left it for a couple more days as Christmas fell on the intended bottling day.

Unfortunately I was unable to take an original gravity reading as I broke my hydrometer while sanitizing it and my other equipment, I have taken the final gravity and it appears to be 1.007. I know that it is impossible to find the accurate alcohol content, but with the information provided, is there anyone who knows a rough and dirty estimate? I'm still kicking myself for breaking the hydrometer the first time, I hope that I can get all proper readings for the next batch without any more broken glass!

Thanks to anyone who can offer some insight, I am a little nervous but I hope that it tastes good after bottle conditioning.

based on your grain bill and the assumption of 70% efficiency your OG would have been roughly 1.039, therefore you ABV would be around 4.1%
cheers

Hydrometer accident aside (sure we've all had them, the flimsy things) it sounds like you're doing damn well!

Thanks a lot! I'm glad that it will be around at least 4% Now I just have to sit on my hands for 3 weeks before cracking one open!

Brew some more - reduce the wait for the next one :D

Don't be to bummed if you were aiming for a higher %. My specialty now's got my mates inspired to produce lower percentage full bodied beer so the lads can have 2-3 and still drive afterwards.

Back