My First Brew... Need Reassurance.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCT

Beer Nerd
Reaction score
Hey all, another new brewer here! I should have started this years ago, good fun.

A couple of days ago I put down my first brew, a Cascade Chocolate Mahogony Porter w/:
1 kg Coopers Brew enhancer 2
The supplied cascade bohemium yeast
1 jar (500g) organic leatherwood honey (My father has made this recipe before and it was beautiful).

Originally when I made up the wort it was too hot, sitting at around 34c. I put too much hot water in, so I left it overnight to cool down.
The next morning it was sitting around 25c so I pitched the yeast. I first got a bit of oxygen into the wort by whisking it up with an egg beater for a minute or so (someone told me this will get the fermentation happening quicker), then sprinkled the yeast over the top and stirred it into the surface for about 15 secs or so, sealed and airlocked.

30 hours later no action at all, no foaming and no bubbles through the airlock. After checking all the seals are ok, which they seam to be (if I push down on the lid gently it will bubble through the airlock), I got another packet of 7g dried yeast from the HBS assuming I had a dud packet of cascade yeast. I bought the can from coles so it might have been there a while.

So, anyway... I sprinkled the new packet of yeast over the wort and resealed about 7 hours ago and still no action.... no bubbling but a little bit of very fine foam on top, maybe covering 1/4 of the surface of the wort. I'm starting to think it'll never work, maybe I'm just being impatient.

The temp of the wort is still sitting at about 24-25c, it's as cool as I can get it here in Sydney atm, a bit warm I know but I would've thought that would kick start the fermentation a little quicker anyway. I did just notice that there is a layer of greyish sludge around the bottom of the wort, I don't know if this from the yeast which doesn't seem to be working....it looks more like the brew enhancer 2 which was once dissolved.

Anyone got any ideas of what may be the problem? Or should I just leave it another day or so before chucking it.

Thanks for reading and any help.
MCT.

do you have a hydrometer?

if so measure if the wort is dropping...if it is then everythings just fine, dont worry about the airlock not bubbling it just means its finding another way out.

if it isnt dropping, go buy a fresh pack of US-05 yeast.

do you have a hydrometer?

if so measure if the wort is dropping...if it is then everythings just fine, dont worry about the airlock not bubbling it just means its finding another way out.

if it isnt dropping, go buy a fresh pack of US-05 yeast.

OG was 1049, it's now 1048...but it does look a little fizzy in the hydrometer tube. It's only been about 7 hours since the second packet of yeast went in, hopefully it comes good.
Can I hurt it by putting too much yeast in?

Edit: gravity readings....put my glasses on.

OG was 1049, it's now 1048...but it does look a little fizzy in the hydrometer tube. It's only been about 7 hours since the second packet of yeast went in, hopefully it comes good.
Can I hurt it by putting too much yeast in?

Edit: gravity readings....put my glasses on.

It's bubbling! Ahh so relieved, was worried I would have to chuck it. That leatherwood honey cost me as much as the can....
Now to try and keep it cool...bloody Sydney weather.

I would have left it. That cascade yeast is real slow to kick off!

I would have left it. That cascade yeast is real slow to kick off!

Ahh well, will know for next time. People kept telling me it should be bubbling away within 6 hours. I've since done some reading and it seems that the extra yeast probably won't hurt it.... hope so anyway.

The temp of the wort is still sitting at about 24-25c, it's as cool as I can get it here in Sydney atm

I found wrapping a damp bath towel around the fermenter and bunching the excess towel on the lid around the air lock was generally enough to keep the temperature down around 18-20 degrees. On hot days I'd wet the towel morning and afternoon, other days usually only once per day.

Ahh well, will know for next time. People kept telling me it should be bubbling away within 6 hours. I've since done some reading and it seems that the extra yeast probably won't hurt it.... hope so anyway.

every time i have used that cascade yeast it has taken about 48 hrs to see any action.

I posted about the dud yeast i received in my cascade last week. After 3 days there was no activity. Tried a safale yeast which started really soon. I still have my doubts about what it will taste like. Geoff

I have done a couple of the cascade brews and have found that it may not kick off for the first few days...often by the third day it starts to act like a normal yeast. I looked at the FAQ's on the cascade site and found this: Cascade yeast info. Take note of the SAFETY NOTE at the end.

As a new brewer you should be mad aware that the gravity should be around 1.010 for three days before bottling in order to avoid bottle bombs. There are a number of threads from new brewers about this on the forum, it might be a good idea to have a look while you are waiting for fermentation to occur.

EK

Leave it whatever the problem. The more you mess with it the more you will be tempted to open it up and have a look and introduce an infection and give up brewing once and for all. IT WILL WORK. Do your brew as per ereipe and leave it alone for a week at least. Patience my friend!!

PS I only say this because I was you 15 long years ago, impatient and thirsty!

It's bubbling! Ahh so relieved, was worried I would have to chuck it. That leatherwood honey cost me as much as the can....
Now to try and keep it cool...bloody Sydney weather.

easiest way i know to keep the fermenter cool without a temp controlled fridge is with an Understanding wife/misses.

Half Fill the Laundry trough with cold water - sit the fermenter in it.
Can also use the Bath tub with 3-4 inches of water in it.
A bit of no name Napisan in the trough/bath water will also help.

Next get 4 x 1.25 ltr PET bottles - fill to 2inches of top and freeze.
Place 2 bottles in Bath/trough in morning.
Swap at night and put the melted bottles in the freezer and continue until finished.

Hope this helps

I am currently using a 100 can cooler that I picked up from Anaconda for $25. It works really well. I am only having to replace the frozen 1.25L soft drink bottles that I use to help keep everything cold once a day. And for the last 2 days I have only had to use 1 bottle and the tank is sitting nicely at 20 degrees.

EK

I have only done about 10 brews since starting last year (all coopers kits just to get some experience) and have never seen or heard my fermenter bubble...not once in the 10 brews.

At first I was worried, as from what i have read it should be "Bubbling Like Crazy". Checked the seals, all air tight. no leaks. Checked the hydrometer readings...all normal and had little bubbles in the hydrometer. Fermenter & all equipment was all completely sanitised. All pitched at around 20-22deg.

I was still thinking i had done something wrong untill i opened the first bottle and it was all good. Carbonation was perfect, taste was great.

So either i have a wierd fermenter, or im still doing something wrong...but the end result is still great beer!

I have only done about 10 brews since starting last year (all coopers kits just to get some experience) and have never seen or heard my fermenter bubble...not once in the 10 brews.

At first I was worried, as from what i have read it should be "Bubbling Like Crazy". Checked the seals, all air tight. no leaks. Checked the hydrometer readings...all normal and had little bubbles in the hydrometer. Fermenter & all equipment was all completely sanitised. All pitched at around 20-22deg.

I was still thinking i had done something wrong untill i opened the first bottle and it was all good. Carbonation was perfect, taste was great.

So either i have a wierd fermenter, or im still doing something wrong...but the end result is still great beer!
um thats a bit worrying, in short if you airlock is not bubbleing but fermentation is still occuring then the gas simply must be finding another way out, so there must be a leak some where in you system

The only worrying bit is you guys are still using airlocks etc. to gauge fermentation.

Yeast is a hardy bugger,put it to sleep for 3 years in a fridge,it will still wake up and kick ass.

Go and buy some glad wrap,and watch the beasts as they should work.

Put your lids,funny shaped air lock devices,your paranoid yeast expectations out the window.

Glad wrap,catches all the co2 you will ever need!

um thats a bit worrying, in short if you airlock is not bubbleing but fermentation is still occuring then the gas simply must be finding another way out, so there must be a leak some where in you system

I was worried for the first few brews, but the end result is still great beer. I have bought another fermenter to see if that is the problem (which will also help because i want to start racking) so will let you know. There is signs in the airlock that it has bubbled, but has never bubbled like crazy.

Thanks for all the advice people, it's a great help. She's stopped bubbling and is sitting
at 1012 (although the hyrdrometer rises just after I put it in, I think it's the bubbles forming on the bottom of the hydrometer).
I'll leave it for a couple of days and take another reading and if it's steady I'll bottle it.
Doesn't tast too bad either for warm flat beer!

I was worried for the first few brews, but the end result is still great beer. I have bought another fermenter to see if that is the problem (which will also help because i want to start racking) so will let you know. There is signs in the airlock that it has bubbled, but has never bubbled like crazy.

The rate at which an airlock bubbles has to do with how good a seal you have, how active the yeast are, AND how much water you have in the airlock. On one of my fermentors, the airlock will bubble nicely with a little water, but add too much water and it stops bubbling...obviously finding an easier way out ;)

I use airlock activity as an indicator along with trub build up, kraussen height and sg...

Back