My First Biab Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
I just did my first all grain BIAB and had a quick question about the trub... I usually get minimal trub from extract brews but i got quite a bit from BIAB i used irish moss but it seemed that it all stuck together throughout the wort and hadn't dropped to the bottom... Is this because i just haven't waited long enough or am i not doing something right??? Also can trub influence the OG reading ie. make it higher?

cheers phil

you wont get much trub from an extract brew as all the hot break was removed when the extract was made, i have found that a rest of an hour or so after flame-out and chilling most of the trub has settled and i can rack clear wort to the fermenter.

You should do a whirlpool at the end of the boil and help the trub in settling to the bottom, also too much whirlfloc can actually be detrimental.

I'm pretty sure that I've read the trub in suspension doesn't affect the gravity, maybe someone else can confirm that.

Latest posts

Back