My First Aussie Biab This Weekend...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tasted homebrews that were in theory 200+ IBU and they were big in flavour and coated your tongue but if you balance it ok you can achieve a drinkable beer.
Not one you'd drink too many pints of sure but very drinkable never the less.
Highly hopped beers need plenty of malt background to have any hope of being balanced for mine so I'd consider dropping back on the hops a little in case your efficiency doesn't quite prove up to scratch.

If you haven't already spoken to Ross he's the maker of the 200+ beers I've tasted so he can give you advice on balancing something of that level, as I'm sure could others, I just haven't tasted theirs...

At the risk of saying things you already know, if you do plan a liquid yeast make sure you have a good starter for a beer that size...
Otherwise consider two packets of dry yeast...
I'd also recommend a program for recipe formulation and last minute adjustments.
I'm a keen beersmith user myself but either, or even another one, is great.

I must say this is something that I have never understood. Sure, it is possible to make a 200 IBU beer but only if you boost the malt through the roof to balance it out. So what are we really doing here - not really making a bitter beer at all, just pushing up all the levels across the board! I really don't see the point. You can make an incredibly flavoursome and complex beer by sticking to 1.055-60 and 50 IBUs. Why use 500g of hops when you can use 100g??? More hops does not equal better beer.

Can the palate even recognise anything over 100IBU?

Probably not... OTOH there's probably a HBS or hop supplier laughin' all the way to the bank. :eek:

Each to their own but I think it's a big waste of good hops.

Warren -

Yeah I've heard that Katie. These beers seem to me like a bit of a pissing contest to be honest... :wacko:

Highly hopped beers need plenty of malt background to have any hope of being balanced for mine so I'd consider dropping back on the hops a little in case your efficiency doesn't quite prove up to scratch.

That's what caught my eye. More malt backbone needed I'd think via some more crystal/caramel/toffee flavoured malts. Anyway, out of my league with this stuff as I dont brew huge beers like this so I'll stay out from now on.

Can the palate even recognise anything over 100IBU?

Supposedly not, and I'd wouldn't surprise me.
As to a waste of hops, well, you could just as easily argue that making a 1.080 beer is a waste of grain when you can make perfectly good beers at 1.050.

Would I make one 100 IBU+? Probably not.
Did I enjoy the ones I tasted? Yes.

One of the joys of homebrewing is being able to make what you want and who cares if it's "right" or the done thing.
In the end if it's drinkable then its right in my book :)

i dont see 2IPA as a no go zone for your 1st BIAB (is it your 1st AG?) but maybe tone it down a touch. It doesnt have to be 100+ IBU.... :ph34r:

i brewed an imperial IPA last year - was actually my landlord recipe on steroids. Imperial Landlord TM :icon_drool2:

Was 7.8% and 75 IBU but for me, the malt stood up to the challenge - Bairds MO and Wey Munich. I added quite a bit of late hopping and it was dry hopped and bottled. Drank it over the course of 8 months. I MUST brew it again. it was the frist runnings of my 1 and only partigyle (used 2nd runnings for a D Saaz pale quaffer)

The 2IPA idea intrigued me but since 'english' beers are my true love i went english IIPA.

Jayse gave it 42/50 at SABSOSA last year.......

Whilst I've got your undivided, does anyone have a water profile for my bit of Brisbane (Manly)?
I've just downloaded BeerSmith, and I'm colouring in the pretty squares...(oh the joys of waiting for a work related/first thing in the morning delivery/parcel from ATS, FFS)

As for a pissing contest... aren't the Ashes a month off... ;)

:icon_cheers:

Imperial Landlord TM :icon_drool2:

Or Imperial Landlady? Gotta love the Queen Mum god rest her soul. :)

Warren -

3246897532_62d0f4deff.jpg

Scruffy,

Not that I'd particularly recommend brewing a huge beer for your 1st one. But if you really do & want to, I'm brewing this one next for the BABBS strong Ale night, so maybe copy to compare with mine when finished or select a different finishing combo of your choice.

Imperial+ IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 31/05/2009
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Brewer: Ross
Boil Size: 35.31 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter Fawcetts (5.3 EBC) Grain 85.71 %
0.35 kg Carared (43.0 EBC) Grain 3.33 %
0.25 kg Caraaroma (390.0 EBC) Grain 2.38 %
25.00 gm NZ Saaz D [6.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
25.00 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
135.00 gm Simcoe [12.80 %] (80 min) Hops 136.6 IBU
65.00 gm NZ Saaz D [4.40 %] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
65.00 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
0.90 kg Invert Raw Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 8.57 %
4 Pkgs American Ale (2 x Craftbrewer American Ale twin packs)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.097 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.097 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.70 %
Bitterness: 136.6 IBU Calories: 944 cal/l
Est Color: 26.8 EBC Color: Color

Cheers Ross

(is it your 1st AG?)

Hi Doc, Nope; 1st BIAB.

I've done a few AG's in the UK - just not been over here that long...

So... what if were to keep all the numbers the same, but double the water... would that calm folk down... or should I just substitute Vortex Premium 98 for the hops...

Point(s) taken, ramp the hop...

...a bit

OMG Scruffy your starting a little early on that one me matey but hey I'll bite. You Pommy gits aren't playing against the West Indies in the Ashes you know? Oh wait that's right they flogged you like an English nanny didn't they? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chappo

:icon_offtopic: Easy on Chappo, else they'll go dwell in a hole for a few months and we won't get them out to sledge them !

Back on topic, also planning my first BIAB soon - just scored an old copper (like the one's mum used to wash clothes in) with two ring burner added - looking to clean it up a bit and will try a simple BIAB... probably an aussie ale. Worried the copper may be a little shallow but you've got to try. Otherwise I'll use it to boil lobsters and prawns. Will post pictures as soon a s it happens.

Hi Doc, Nope; 1st BIAB.

I've done a few AG's in the UK - just not been over here that long...

So... what if were to keep all the numbers the same, but double the water... would that calm folk down... or should I just substitute Vortex Premium 98 for the hops...

Point(s) taken, ramp the hop...

...a bit

Fair enough Scruffy

Why not brew a good english bitter then, plenty of recipes in the DB or have a look at Jims Beer Kit if you want to 'clone' a particular brew

:icon_offtopic: I was living in the UK (Durham) during the last Ashes series over there. I started sledging early and it came back to bite me in the arse, damn near literally.....

Latest posts

Back