My First Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The slight vegetal taste might be the dry hopping. Although I find amarillo can sit in a keg for weeks and never get grassy.

Is it a "boiling cabbage" taste/aroma, or a "grass clippings" one?

how are you chilling the wort WoodMole? chiller, or no-chill, or bang-er-in the fermenter hot with a lid on till shes cool?? the last method is sure to produce vegetal off-flavours. Next on the culprit list id say would be the 90min simmer rather than rolling boil.

sim

The aroma and taste are definitely grassy. I'm definitely not getting a cabbage aroma which is good. After the boil I ran the beer straight into a cube and squeezed all the remaining air out before sealing the lid. I left it out overnight to cool and placed it in the fermenter the next afternoon. Ive just kegged it now and put it in the fridge.

Thanks for your help guys.

Woodmole

Woodmole, Thats the exact method I use with my wort ... I have not had any issues at all with my beers when done that way ... I have tried the directly into the fermentor with no success :-(

anyway all sounds like it went ok !

Well done .. hope it turned out well...

Woodmole, Thats the exact method I use with my wort ... I have not had any issues at all with my beers when done that way ... I have tried the directly into the fermentor with no success :-(

anyway all sounds like it went ok !

Well done .. hope it turned out well...

Another possible explanation for the 'vegetable' aroma is DMS (di-methl sulphide) which can be a problem when the boil isnt vigorous.

Back