My First Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user3673

Reaction score
Here's pics of my first AG

The setup
IMG_0321__Small_.JPG

IMG_0304__Small_.JPG

IMG_0302__Small_.JPG

IMG_0308__Small_.JPG

25lt Mash Tun
IMG_0314__Small_.JPG

Mashing the grains
IMG_0320__Small_.JPG

First Runnings
IMG_0322__Small_.JPG

The boil
IMG_0325__Small_.JPG

Ended up with most of the flowers in the fermenter, makes for an intersting krausen.

IMG_0327__Small_.JPG

Had a few hicups, mainly my tap on the mash tun came undone and leaked, so my sparges were rushed and so got really bad efficiency (61%). Missed mashin temp by 5C too hot (Strike water 76c and mash ended up @ 70c was aiming for 65c)

There were a few other things, but it's a learning process.

Most importantly had a great time doing it and loved every minute, can't wait for the next brew day (this Sunday)

Cheers,

Scottie

Good work Scottie

Just remember - no matter how much of a clusterf*#k you think your brewday is turning into - nomatter how bad you think the beer is going to turn out because you have missed your temps/screwed your efficiency/forgotten ingredients/had the mother of all stuck sparges...

We have all been there - the good news is...

The Beer STILL tastes awesome.

Welcome to the Dark Side :ph34r:

RM

Had a few hicups, mainly my tap on the mash tun came undone and leaked, so my sparges were rushed and so got really bad efficiency (61%). Missed mashin temp by 5C too hot (Strike water 76c and mash ended up @ 70c was aiming for 65c)

There were a few other things, but it's a learning process.

Most importantly had a great time doing it and loved every minute, can't wait for the next brew day (this Sunday)

Cheers,

Scottie

Cheers Scottie

Making beer is about as much fun as you can have with ya pants on :lol:

All about learning, you need to use your kit to get to know it, make adjustment for the next batch, from then on it all fine tuning.

Your on the slippery slope now.

Screwy

darth_vader2.JPG

Nice pics and I too love the masher.
Have a good day doing your fathers day brew.
:super:

- Luke

Starting off with a HP Reg ? Niiice!

Well done, not as hard as ppl make out is it?

Your next brew will be sooo much easier.

Nice one Scottie - congratulations. Easy isnt it. What did you brew?

I lose 6 degrees (same as you) when transferring water to mashtun and after giving it a good stir. So if I want to mash at 65 I get my hot water to 71 degrees. You'll know for next time. :)

Cheers
Steve

Edit.....grab yerself a hop sock....wonderful things they are

Thanks everyone. Sorry about the potato masher, just couldn't help myself :rolleyes:

Nice one Scottie - congratulations. Easy isnt it. What did you brew?

I lose 6 degrees (same as you) when transferring water to mashtun and after giving it a good stir. So if I want to mash at 65 I get my hot water to 71 degrees. You'll know for next time. :)

Cheers
Steve

Edit.....grab yerself a hop sock....wonderful things they are

A summer ale posted in the what are you brewing thread, smelling great through the airlock. I tried to use a hop sock but it wouldn't stay in the kettle properly, might try again next time.

Top work

Great pics

How do you transfer the wort to cube?

Cheers

Siphon at the moment, can't decide how to set up a tap and didn't want that to stop me brewing, any suggestions are appreciated, there are so many ways people have done it on here i can't decide.

Turkey.....with the hop sock get a wire coat hangar, straighten it out and thread it through the plastic loops on the sock and then bend the ends of the hangar over the edges of the kettle. The sock then sits in the bottom of the curve of the hangar. :beerbang:
Cheers
Steve

Had a few hicups, mainly my tap on the mash tun came undone and leaked, so my sparges were rushed and so got really bad efficiency (61%).

Lets hope it gets better for you. I fly sparge with a flase bottom and struggle to get over that <_< hopefully you figure yours out sooner :beer:

S

Cheers Scottie

Making beer is about as much fun as you can have with ya pants on :lol:

All about learning, you need to use your kit to get to know it, make adjustment for the next batch, from then on it all fine tuning.

Your on the slippery slope now.

Screwy

Who says you have to have your pants on ? ;)

Nice neat setup you have there Scottie, I like it.

Man.. I'm 50+ brews in and I still have the odd day that screws up as badly as your first brewday... gives you stories to tell when you are drinking the fruits of your labour

It gets easier and easier...and then you get more and more obsessed...

Ah hell, I just second all the Darth Vader comments... Welcome to the dark side

Your gonna love it.

Back