My Cube Smells Terrible!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! Went with the fermenter in the end! It's little things like this that make brewing exciting every time! :)

stakka82 said:
That sounds funny but I don't know what it means.
Give it the beans = go full tit = give it the bejesus = full bore = full hectic

Gurni = High pressure washer = Karcher

Good choice with the fermenter. Urns can harbour nasties up the sight tube, which doesn't get a full boil. Normally not a problem if you are running off into a cube, but can cause infections if the whole lot is allowed to cool gradually in the urn.

sp0rk said:
I'd be careful doing that...
Someone posted pics a while ago where they'd sealed hot wort in their urn with gladwrap and the lid, and when the air in the urn contracted, the whole thing buckled and bent the urn
Yep, that was me. I reckon in that case it was the massive head space above the liquid that did me in. I'd only boiled 6 litres of water (was intending to wash some yeast), and hot gas obviously contracts a lot more than hot liquid. I would think that even with the head space above a single batch in a 40 litre urn, you'd probably be ok.

Bribie G said:
Good choice with the fermenter. Urns can harbour nasties up the sight tube, which doesn't get a full boil. Normally not a problem if you are running off into a cube, but can cause infections if the whole lot is allowed to cool gradually in the urn.
If it's a crown urn, you can get a bit of beer line over the end of the sight tube if you warm it up a bit. Before mine snapped off in the above incident, I used to do that then pour or pump hot PBW down it. Then a quick blast with a high pressure hose to rinse, and spray Starsan down it.

Back