My Bribieg Inspired No Artificial Sweet Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Belly

Head Brewer - Barley Belly Brewery
Reaction score
Upon reading another thread I was inspired to make my version of BribieG's NO artificial sweetener Ginger Beer

Put this down yesterday morning(it was happily bubbling away 6 hours later @ 20deg):-

60 grams Powdered Ginger
3kg Raw Sugar
1 Bottle Bundaberg GB Cordial
500 grams Lactose
2 Packs Yeast Nutrient
2 Packs Coopers GB Yeast
Make up to 22 litres
OG 1070 :blink:

Ran my ingredients through the Brewcraft SG estimator and came up with OG 1069 FG 1009 8.6%ABV :wacko:

Bloody nora, I hope you have a strong liver :lol: .

Don't forget that you have a 1/2kg of lactose in there, which won't ferment out, so it will probably come in about a percent under. But that's still a hell of a whack of alcohol. ;)

So is the lactose intended not to ferment and so the beer remains sweet even when fermentation is complete?
As opposed to the half fermented bottle bombs my mum used to make?

Hope your not lactose intolerant! You could end up with a swollen tummy. :)

So is the lactose intended not to ferment and so the beer remains sweet even when fermentation is complete?
As opposed to the half fermented bottle bombs my mum used to make?

Yep, lactose remains in adding body and sweetness. It's less sweet than white sugar, from memory about 20% as sweet. Used in Milk Stouts, cider, and now Ginger Beer Rocket fuel mixer.

I like the look of this recipe may have to give it go when I get time. May use a bit of fresh ginger too.

Just thought I'd update everyone on my BribieG Rocket Fuel No Kit Ginger Beer

It started OG 1070 on 17/10/08
Took around 12 hours to start
SG 19/10 1054
SG 24/10 1034
SG 27/10 1028
SG 29/10 1024
SG 3/11 1017

It is still slowly bubbling away and is not expected to stop till it gets around 1009

Gravity samples have tasted OK, maybe a little light on the ginger but you can really taste the alcohol :icon_drunk:

Might be more of a Ginger Wine than Beer

Am planning a non rocket fuel version with just:-

80g Powdered Ginger
2kg Raw Sugar
500g Lactose

When and if my rocket fuel version ever finishes

Will keep ya posted

Actually when it ferments out to dryness, don't even think about drinking it straight because it tastes like a shot of Shagga's moonshine straight from Cell Block B before the screws confiscated it, and would kill a brown dog at ten metres .... the whole rationale is that it needs to be sweetened up with some extra ginger cordial like Buderim, and maybe something nice and tropical like a pine / passion / coconut type cordial, a few ice cubes, some fresh crushed mint leaves from the garden and then it's not a bad alcopop and you'd never guess that you had just got totally pissed for less than a dollar.

Even SWMBO drinks the odd glass and previously all she would drink was scotch and dry or a Lemon Russki, so it's passed the taste test there! My drinking buddy drank a litre + mixin's and was legless :lol: Well actually that was also after a few glasses of my 9% Stout toucan :lol:

Well, after a mammoth 4 weeks it's finally finished.

Came up at FG 1010 ABV 8.3%

Gunna bottle it today and have it's predecessor on the stove as we speak, hopefully this one have be a little mildler, ABV % wise.

80 grams Powdered Ginger
2kg Raw Sugar
500 grams Lactose
1 gram MHBS Yeast Food
2 Packs Coopers GB Yeast
Make up to 23 litres

Will keep you all posted

mmmmmmm, this is interesting....

I was wondering what to do with the leftover coopers kit yeasts sitting in the fridge.....

Might make a batch of the strong ones and then chuck them down in the cellar (read: garage) as a handy item for when I feel like I really need a drink....

Question is, my prefered HBS doesn't stock lactose, could I do without it if I am going to be mixing it with a cordial in the glass anyways??

Latest posts

Back