Murrays Whale Ale.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
The best use any church / mosque / synagogue, is when it's converted to a restaurant that serves good food and craft beer.
There's a place such as this now near me, and we had a family lunch there on Saturday. To be honest, I thought it was just going to be a wankfest of overpriced, tiny everything like a few of the other trendy, newer joint's that have sprung up around town of late - but not so.

Yeah, the food was good, but the most important thing was I could get a pint of craft beer (allbeit, only one on tap) for six bucks.
This was the beer http://www.murraysbrewingco.com.au/web2010/beersPage.php?5 , and I have a new best friend.
It tastes like the wheat beer I've allways wanted to brew, bright, refreshing with no sourness. I know that can be a trait of the style, but I'm not a big fan of it.

They claim it's in the style of an American Wheat Beer, what's the difference between that and the euro style of wheats? Are there specific yeast strains for this style? So impressed was I, I'm putting one down this weekend, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

cheers

Have a look at the yeast strain guides from the suppliers Dave. I think you would want something like Wyeast's American wheat strain.

I listened to Jamil's podcast recently and apparently Kolsch yeast goes well in an American wheat too.

I have done this recipe a few time with lots of success http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...amp;recipe=1057. I came up with the basics of the recipe after a conversation with the Head Brewer at Murray's. Now the grain bill is NOT there's and the hopping is not there's in fact I don't think this recipe is any thing like Wale Ale, but it is a mighty fine American Wheat. The only thing I might do if you don't like the sourness would be to change the unmalted wheat for malted wheat but I find it does not add a huge sourness but rather keeps it refreshing. Also you are not committed to using Citra I think any C hop would go well.

Hope this helps!
Rurik

Edit - Did not put url in

Yep ,it looks like a WLP029 German Ale or Wyeast American wheat 1010 might be the go and maby a 50 / 50 pilsner, wheat malt grain bill. Can't go to far wrong with that.

Apparently its a blend of two British ale yeasts according to the head brewer at Murrys, he shot me this e mail this morning after I pestered him for a recipe.

Cheers Shawn, you're a good egg.

G'day David,

Thanks for the feedback on the Whale Ale. The yeast is a blend of 2 British Ale yeasts which I source from Wyeast Labs in the US. It is our own blend that I then keep going as a slurry for future batches. I can't give you the exact blend - if it was a single strain I wouldn't be worried but it is our 'house blend' now and we use it in 2 or 3 of our beers. I can tell you it isn't the American Wheat strain though, and would encourage you to have a go at blending a couple of the British strains if you are looking to brew something similar at home.

Thanks again,
Shawn

Maby a 1335 and a 1098?

Latest posts

Back