Muntons Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeergloriousbeer

Reaction score
I have brewed a Muntons Wheat beer with the addition of brew booster using safale wb06 yeast.
No other things were added to the wort.
The brew seemed to go well and was kept at a constant of 24 degrees for seven days.
I then bottled it and it has been 3-4 weeks since bottling.
The brew seems to be very very malty. Nothing like other wheat beers i have brewed before.
It is a golden brown sort of colour and quite strong flavoured.
Is this meant to be so malty and dark or is it possible the can was labled incorrectly?????

I have brewed a Muntons Wheat beer with the addition of brew booster using safale wb06 yeast.
No other things were added to the wort.
The brew seemed to go well and was kept at a constant of 24 degrees for seven days.
I then bottled it and it has been 3-4 weeks since bottling.
The brew seems to be very very malty. Nothing like other wheat beers i have brewed before.
It is a golden brown sort of colour and quite strong flavoured.
Is this meant to be so malty and dark or is it possible the can was labled incorrectly?????

I haven't used the Muntons Wheat can myself, but I'm sure it probably shouldnt be dark in colour. A couple of questions:
Did you take the boil pot off the heat when you added it to the water? This could have caused some caramelisation and darkened tha colour and affected the taste if you hadn't.
In terms of the can itself, did it look like the label had been tampered with?

Not really an answer but we probably need some more information to give an accurate answer. Have you used the kit before? Did you have any problems with it then? What is your brew process? Things like that give a clearer picture.

Cheers

Did you check the use by on the can? Old extract darkens and tastes stronger.

The can appeared to not be tampered with and the label looked like it was attached at a factory. The can was within date.
I soaked the can in hot tap water for 20 minutes to thin out the contents then opened and poured into fermenter. I then poured boiling water into the can for about a minute then drained into fermenter. I stirred for about 30 seconds then added cold water up to 23l stirring. I then added WB06 yeast and closed fermenter. The brew started at 26 degrees C and stayed at a pretty constant 24 degrees.
I have attached a photo for colour purposes below.

DSCF0055_small.jpg

Hmmm...that's very dark for a wheat beer.
What does the brew booster consist of?

I took a bottle into the HBS today for the owner to look at.
He thinks the can of Muntons might have been caramelised in transit or storage(Maybe due to heat).
I think he is getting in touch with Muntons and getting his 3 cans left and mine replaced.
So i will re-try this brew and let you know if it turns out better.

Thanks

BBGB :p

G'day BBGB,

I've brewed the Muntons wheat before (1997-1998) and it was great.

I added 500g dextrose and 500g wheat LME and 15g Saaz (boiled for 10 min) and the W3056 yeast.

Like I said...great beer! Plenty of banana and balanced cloves...oh, and pale too.

Les

Back