Muntons Stout W/ Mhb's Split Grain&hop Stuck At 1020...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teeesoobes10

Reaction score
Bit of a dilemma, I've got a Muntons Stout on the go - and has been for 13 days now - but I've tampered with it by adding an extra 300 grams of dark malt and also a steeped grain & hop mix (courtesy of Mark from MHB in Newy). My main drama is I have to bugger off to Victoria for a week and the bloody stout has stayed at 1020 for the last 3 days. It is still ticking along tho as the CO2 is very present and any reading volumes are still bubbling away nicely. So should I leave the brew to do its thing and check it out on first arrival back or maybe rack it off lees first and let it finish in the secondary vessel? It's shaping up nicely and I'd hope it doesn't fall to shite if neglected!

Has anybody been in a similar situation or just found 'emselves remembering an overdue brew a week or so later? Well, maybe not...but sometimes the shed is off limits...

Munton's Kits finish high FME.
If your gravity reading is stable then she's done I reckon, CO2 still escapes after fermentation has finished.
Unless I'm reading you wrong and you've added fermentables after fermentation has ended, I'd bottle.

Bit of a dilemma, I've got a Muntons Stout on the go - and has been for 13 days now - but I've tampered with it by adding an extra 300 grams of dark malt and also a steeped grain & hop mix (courtesy of Mark from MHB in Newy). My main drama is I have to bugger off to Victoria for a week and the bloody stout has stayed at 1020 for the last 3 days. It is still ticking along tho as the CO2 is very present and any reading volumes are still bubbling away nicely. So should I leave the brew to do its thing and check it out on first arrival back or maybe rack it off lees first and let it finish in the secondary vessel? It's shaping up nicely and I'd hope it doesn't fall to shite if neglected!

Has anybody been in a similar situation or just found 'emselves remembering an overdue brew a week or so later? Well, maybe not...but sometimes the shed is off limits...

I'd be inclined to leave it in the fermenter. 20 days on the yeast should cause no ill effects.

I'd be inclined to leave it in the fermenter. 20 days on the yeast should cause no ill effects.

Good call LB. This time of year patience is a virtue. If it doesn't get too hot, aint no problem.

An extra week on the yeast is a good thing. Racking it would not hurt either (I do rack most of my brews around that point and notice less distinctive yeastiness) but I wouldn't be in a hurry to bottle.

The beer will benefit from some extra time with (some of) the yeast.

I agree with Manticle, rack it into bottles, slowly.

Thanks for the advice gents, appreciated. Reckon I'll try leaving it to finish (yep -probly has already) and settle out in primary and see how it looks & tastes next Friday. Kinda looking forward to see how it develops over some time once bottled also - so a bit of yeastiness will hopefully add to the shape of it all. I like to rack my pales too but this is my first decent crack at a stout so for shits & giggles I'll hang off for a bit. But if it turns out bloody awful I'll let you know...and then agree I should've listened to you guys!

I had thought it may've finished already (given three 1020 reads), so cheers for the heads-up on the high Munton end gravities. Handy to know.

Last one: Has anyone ever tried to brew a stout with Muscat substituted for part or all of the water? Just an idea I had been floating...I was considering either using Gordo juice (unfermented obviously), or possibly adding a portion/percentage of fortified muscat after initial ferment of a partial brew.

I had a pretty good English ruby port stout a few weeks back and then my mind started ticking over...

Latest posts

Back