Muntons Premium Gold Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceL

Reaction score
As well as the usual safale yeasts my local homebrew shop stocks Muntons premium gold. What experiences have people had with this yeast.

How does it compare to safale 04 or 56.

I noticed that it comes in small 6g packets would I need to use two in a brew.

Any information would be helpful

Bruce

BruceL said:
As well as the usual safale yeasts my local homebrew shop stocks Muntons premium gold. What experiences have people had with this yeast.

How does it compare to safale 04 or 56.

I noticed that it comes in small 6g packets would I need to use two in a brew.

Any information would be helpful

Bruce
[post="122238"][/post]​

Hi Bruce,

I like the Muntons Gold.

It has a deserved reputation for firing up really strongly. In my experience it suits big malty beers. I have used it often in stout and black ales. It flocculates well after the primary winds down.

One packet will do the job. As always, just make sure you aerate your wort well.

This link provides information on a wide range of yeasts: BYO yeast info.

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Bruce

This Muntons premium gold is a standard issue for the Muntons Gold range of English Ales.

It is designed for the malty ales produced by Muntons.

The ones under the caps of the 3.6 kg variety are all 11gm.

I have used it a number of times and find it excellent but rehydration is a suggested course to get you out of the barrier fast.

The S04 is said to work a little lower than the Muntons (15c compared to 18c)

Cheers, Hogan.

Keith the Beer Guy said:
One packet will do the job. As always, just make sure you aerate your wort well.

[post="122275"][/post]​

Despite the Brew shop guys advice I'd still pitch 2x 6 gms,and aerate well.

The few times I've used safale s-04 I have found it quite fruity, especially above 20c. How does the Muntons compare.

Bruce

BruceL said:
The few times I've used safale s-04 I have found it quite fruity, especially above 20c. How does the Muntons compare.

Bruce
[post="122315"][/post]​
Ferments quite cleanly and emphasises the malt profile.

Brauluver said:
Despite the Brew shop guys advice I'd still pitch 2x 6 gms,and aerate well.
[post="122310"][/post]​

I try to pitch (no pun intended) the info I provide at the level I think appropriate, thats what 15 years in the education sector will do to you. Sometimes I'm on the money and sometimes I'm not.

I have pitched a single packet of the Gold many times, usually in beers with reasonably high OG's and never had any problems. Bruce, if you are concerned that your pitching rate is low, my advice would be to make a starter rather than pitch two (2) packets of the gold. A starter will be cheaper and more effective than doubling the quantity of dried yeast.

Happy brewing,

Keith

Going slightly off topic here but,
from the fermentis site, makers of the SAF yeasts
"To achieve the correct pitching rate use one sachet per 20 litres of wort for ales. Use one sachet for lager when fermenting at room temperature and two sachets for lager when fermenting cold e.g. 12C (due to the lower temperature and slower growth of lager strains)."
So a lot depends on the temp. that you intend to brew at.

Normell

i've used the muntons gold in a porter
it was only brewed around the 18C mark, so i didn't notice any fruit
took a while to finish up but i'd use it for a malty beer again

BL - you should add that link to the links section. Plenty of reading there.

Tangent, What sort of attenuation did you get on that porter.

Bruce

Back