Muntons Pilsner kit and dry hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaybo

Reaction score
Howdy,

I wanted to get my FIL into brewing so grabbed a Pilsner kit with an additional can of Liquid Wheat Malt. We put it into the fermenter Sunday at the 20L mark.

I used the kit yeast and it has started to bubble nicely.

My question is can I use any of the following as dry hops without changing the flavor/aroma too much?

Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo

Cheers!

All of those will change the flavour considerably. Not necessarily a bad thing. Why are you considering adding them if you don't want to change the flavour?

None of them have what you could call traditional Pilsner flavour, that said, if you must add something I would go the amarillo, maybe make up say 15g as a steeped infussion and add it. Will definately notice it but I don't think it would stand out as much as fruity citra or piney simcoe

I made an lager recently using Citra late in the boil and it was lovely. It was paired with Saaz.

I am making the beer to cater to a palate that does not like "An overly hoppy" taste.

I will think on it some more and if I get a chance I might stop being lazy and head into the LHBS.

thanks for the tips!

If the palate doesn't want to much hoppyness, don't dry hop at all.

Just focus on a nice, crisp, clean lager (although I reckon you'll struggle with the amount of yeast used).

I have a similar audience at home I have to make a few batches a year for, used Amarillo in one and got the tick of approval

Agree - if I had to pick, I'd go amarillo. Regular punters might recognise the flavour from squires and if I remember right, cricketers arms.

Back