Munton's Conkerwood Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuun

Reaction score
Hi,

I got lucky and tasted this kit at my local homebrew competition in 2010 and have been dreaming of it ever since. Finally my LHBS brought in 3 sets and I was one of the lucky few who got a set. I also realised that there is scant little information on this kit and how it should be done in terms of hops and so on. Does anyone have tried a successful batch of this kit? Any help appreciated as it cost almost 60AUD here. Thank you!

enuun

*edit for grammar. that's how it rolls after 8 pints of winter warmer

Hi,

I got lucky and tasted this kit at my local homebrew competition in 2010 and have been dreaming of it ever since. Finally my LHBS brought in 3 sets and I was one of the lucky few who got a set. I also realised that there is scant little information on this kit and how it should be done in terms of hops and so on. Does anyone have tried a successful batch of this kit? Any help appreciated as it cost almost 60AUD here. Thank you!

enuun

*edit for grammar. that's how it rolls after 8 pints of winter warmer
Enuun - If this is the Muntons 2 can kit, then you don't need to do anything in terms of hops. Its pre-hopped. Just mix the 2 cans together and fill up your fermenter and add yeast - that is, rather than a kit + kilo (of sugar), there are 2 cans. Simple as.

I did make one of these a few years ago, I admit that i didn't like it all that much. Too much bitterness, without any actual hop flavour or aroma. And it didn't have the nice maltiness that I expect from a nice dark beer. I've moved onto all grain now, I would not make one of these again, but if you have already tried and like it then fill your boots!

thank you =) Its smelling pretty good now. I agree on the hops issue with the kits. I have some fuggles and goldings that I can use to dry-hop

Back