Munich Oktoberfest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo

Reaction score
Hi,

Munich Oktoberfest starts today as far as I know. :lol:

Who's been?
Got some good photos?
Got some good stories?
Who made it through the 100 club?

I've lucky enough to go twice, four years apart, absolutely amazing. A must do.

little_oktoberfest.JPG

Kev

its 11:30 at the moment here in Germany, so at 12:00 the Oktoberfest will start. ozapft is

I've been. A while back now, 2000.
Had an awesome time.
Was there for the last day which was a great event but spending all day at Oktoberfest followed by a 10 or so hour train journey straight to Venice was interesting :)
A sleeping carriage full of travellers who'd been drinking beer all day...

Yep. It started 30mins ago with the breaching of the keg.

Tomorrow there is a parade that comes right up to where we are so we will go and have a captains.

SWMBO has her Wies'n Herz on and her dirndl and HWMBO is off the tents etc. on Friday. I'm not sure if we'll go. There are cheap family afternoons.

Oktoberfest is more than just the horrible piss up. All of sudden people are out in their tracht... I feel sorry for the men whose socks don't meet their lederhosen! Its terribly cold now.

And there's the parade and the all the tracht in the shop windows. Its a cultural event.
And when oktoberfest ends, that seems to be the start of xmas. The dirndl shops dissapear overnight and suddenly they are gingerbread shops in their place!

I went in 2004 and going back next year. It's great except for the large hordes of annoying Australians/South Africans/Kiwis.

It was interesting to compare...

My forst trip in 2001 was for the forst few days - all aussies/kiwis/saffas.....and some germans.

Second trip, 2005, was for a day in the middle weekend - aussies/kiwis/saffas mostly gone, it's Italian party weekend! Harder to spot a german than in the first days!

I went to Oktoberfest the previous 2 years. Arrive on a Friday morning so we could actually spend a little time in Munich as well as visit the Hofbrauhaus.
Saturday it's get in early and try to find a seat. Both years the weather was fantastic so didn't bother trying to get inside any tents, just sat out in the sunshine and waited for the mayor to crack the first keg. Manage to drink around 8 steins each day for the 3 or 4 days we were at Oktoberfest - and generally not have a hangover. Salivating at the thought of those delicious pork knuckles. The germans sure know which foods go well with beer, roast chicken, pork knuckle, salted fish cooked over coals, massive pickles, raddishes and huge pretzels. I wish I could have gone the hatrick.

I like the opening weekend, because everyone turns out for the saturday and sunday, including lots of local families. The monday it dies down as it's only tourists which kevo rightly points out are aussies/kiwis/saffas. All the locals I spoke to said they don't come on the 2nd weekend due to the Italians being extremely rude especially to women. Not really sure which is the worse of the 2? It was quite emarassing seeing all these aussies just getting absolutely obliterated and acting like fools, in the end they spill more than they drink, thankfully they usually aren't in till late the following day.

To avoid the drunken fools, stay away from Lowenbrau and Hofbrau on the first day and late in the afternoons. Better beer than that in other tents anyway.

went in 2004 - was ok....wouldn't travel all the way over to germany again just to go to the oktoberfest...

And man, all those cooked chickens here sure look good.

One almost killed me in 1996.
A trip home via London and Hong Kong with ACUTE food poisoning was almost the end.

Doc

Doc,

I bet you were looking for a loaded gun to put you outta your misery, I too have had acute food poisoning from a chook and It was the worst.

Cheers
JSB

Good thing I stuck to pork knuckle and pretzels as solid sustainance

I can't remember if I ate anything.

I think I had a sausage of some description in a bit of bread at some point - couldn't be sure though.

I bet you were looking for a loaded gun to put you outta your misery, I too have had acute food poisoning from a chook and It was the worst.

I certainly was. Took me about 3 months to finally get over it. At least it didn't hit me until I'd left Munich, so the memories of the event are still good ones.
Would love to get back for another Oktoberfest there sometime. No chicken this time.

Doc

Hey guys,

Cant talk for too long wasting valuable research time! I have many beer halls to visit today.
I got to Munich for the opening even went to the Monastery Brewery. Having a ball, weather is a bit cold n wet but nothing that a pork knuckle wont fix.
Ill post up a few happy snaps very soon..

Prost...

I'm leaving here 7am Saturday, arrive Munich about 11pm.

So bright and early on Sunday...I shall get in before the drunken shambles.

Then Czech, Belgium, Scotland and London, with a stopover in Malaysia for the motogp on the way home. I'm a wee bit excited about it

Here is HWMBO having a beer at the oktoberfest this arfternoon
gallery_3596_350_14799.jpg

Here is my oktoberfest album
linky

Latest posts

Back