Munich Dunkel (using kits)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manga

Reaction score
I am seeking to make (as close as possible) a Munich Dunkel, mahogany in colour, malty sweetness and moderately hopped, using kits, malt extract, extra hops and Fermentis yeast.

I do not have facilities to mash, I can only steep grain and dry hop.

What kits and malt extracts should one use to get a close approximation to this beer style ?

No-one tried this yet ?

Here is what I plan to do:

Steep 300g Weyermann Carafa Special Type II for 20 minutes.
Boil the drained wort for 15 minutes with 15g Hallertau hops, then after 15 minutes, add another 15g Hallertau hops and take off the heat. Wait another 15 minutes, then cool the wort.
Dissolve 3kg ESB Bavarian Lager kit
Dissolve 1kg Dark Malt Exract
Dissolve 200g Light Malt Extract (to get some extra maltiness)
Fement with Saflager W-34/70 lager yeast

I should have 25L volume at 1.050.
That should give me a 5% beer with mahogany colour and maltiness.

Any comments appreciated ;)

A bit late to the party sorry. I have a CAMRA recipe for Konig Ludwig Dunkel (malt extract version) and it is very similar to yours for 25L except it's all pale malt extract (4.5kg) and 200gm chocolate malt (it's an old recipe, so Carafa II is the same). It's a 5.6% ABV recipe.

I've not done the extract version, but have brewed the all grain version (replace malt extract with 5.9kg pale malt) a few times. I found it to be very dark even with just 200gm of carafa II, so 300gm plus dark malt extract may be too dark, but you've probably brewed it by now and will know one way or the other. I'd probably not do a flame out Hallertau addition as it is not supposed to be a hop aroma beer 'style' at all and the 15min addition would be sufficient. But if you like it then go with it. Otherwise your recipe looks just fine.

Latest posts

Back