munich classic for witbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osangar

Reaction score
Hello

has anyone used the Lallemand Munich classic yeast to make a witbier ?

there is a packet in the fridge, its 1 month out of date, but kept in the fridge for its life so should be ok. the packet keeps looking at me, and I'm thinking for a change of doing a witbier in place of the usual hefeweizen I've been doing for a while now.

any of the forum participants tried this Munich classic, or similar Weizen yeasts for such witbier experiments ?

my thinking is that witbier has coriander, chamomile and citrus, so the yeast adding banana and a bit of clove (not that I get much out of the Lallemand yeast before) may be interesting.

any experience would be appreciated

If you are keen on making a Wit I recommend getting a stubby of White Rabbit White Ale and culturing the yeast from that. It is very similar to Hoegaarden.

You should be ok to leave the Munich Classic in the fridge for a few months. Just make a starter with it when you finally get around to using it. Theoretically, if you brew and ferment to reduce banana esters, the phenolic side of the yeast's profile could suit a Wit I suppose. I'm not an expert on Wit but the few I have tried didn't have any banana.

BTW, a couple of things to do to increase banana esters includes putting the yeast through several generations, brewing high gravity and then diluting it back to the gravity you wish to drink it at, and using some dextrose in your recipe. There is some stuff on the thread "SEEKING BANANA ESTERS".

Actually, I just noticed that you are in Singapore and might not have access to the White Rabbit. :eek:

Latest posts

Back