Multmuncher wont crush or intermittently

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damn

Reaction score
I can't get my KegKing multmuncher to crush predictably. Sometimes it just spins and the grain stays. I keep fiddling with the crush gap to see if that will solve it. I'd done only 1kg of 6kg. I finally got it started when I refilled the mill it free spun again. Going to try using the handle now rather than my drill? Any ideas anyone.

I fixed it using my handle moving it back and forth and then I felt it grab. Removed the handle and put the drill back on and off she went. Don't know what I did. Got my crush gap set at 0.05. I think maybe when I try for a finer crush it buggers up and just free spins. Still, it was free spinning at .05 & .06 too so don't know. Its blowing out my brew time.

I occasionally get this problem with my barley crusher malt mill. I usually find putting the drill in reverse for a second or so, and then back to forwards and then it grips again. Give it a try to see if gets you out of trouble tonight.

Can you run the drill any slower Damn? And have you tried cleaning the knurling?

Thanks,

Will try to slow my drilling & clean the knurls.

On a side note I've noticed they've changed the forum search function.

Damian.

My mill did this when I bought it second hand, I fully took it apart and cleaned it, set the gap to recommended and its never played up since, doesn't matter what speed I crush at now.

Side note, if you go reverse on mine the grain goes around the rollers and into the bucket without being crushed, mines the hardy MMII.

I cant remember my mill gap, but isn't .05" to big??? Not that is would solve your mill problem.

This happened to me more often as the knurling on the rollers started to lose their "burring" from lots of use.

Try adding just enough grain to fill the gap between the rollers then give your drill/motor a quick burst to enable the grain to grab.
Once the grain grabs, fill your hopper & away you go.
I use a Cranker 3-roller & have a 40 thou gap.

No idea if it will work with a two-roller but worth a try. You might have to give reverse a go as well?

Edit --- Never bothered to check what 40 thou is in mm's until now.
It's 0.1016mm so it looks like your gap of 0.05\0.06mm is too small for a decent crush?
Are you getting lots of flour? You ARE using mm aren't you????? :p

Mine's doing the same thing, I'm pretty sure the bearings are farked

TP,

You've miscalculated. 40 thou = 1.016 mm. The op may be using inches as .05 = 50 thou.

:beer: G.

Slightly left of field.
attach some form of vibrating thingamajig to the hopper. this should help keeping the grain knocking at the rollers doors.

disclaimer: i dont even own a crusher yet... but i have see this method help in other applications

n87 said:
Slightly left of field.
attach some form of vibrating thingamajig to the hopper. this should help keeping the grain knocking at the rollers doors.

disclaimer: i dont even own a crusher yet... but i have see this method help in other applications
I don't think the Mrs would be too happy if I go scrounging around in her bedside drawer...

sp0rk said:
I don't think the Mrs would be too happy if I go scrounging around in her bedside drawer...
A whole 23 minutes... doesn't take you long :p

might also explain your Mrs' need for such contraption

Just in case anyone else has this problem. I had it again tonight. Turns out my cut-out in board the mill sits in is too tight. It locks the free wheel. Once I pulled it out of the cut-out and just rested it on top it worked fine. So fixed.

Latest posts

Back