Multi-Chamber Arduino Brewpi

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following the hbt site since it started and have wheezy running on an old laptop. Started with one uno then went to the$5 nanos with the ch340 chip. Now I have a mix of uno and nano all hooked up with Bluetooth so the Bluetooth board MAC address gives them unique id's. The ch340 chip is a cheaper option but you miss out on the unique serial address. I bought some esp boards for wireless but haven't hooked them up yet. Bluetooth doesn't have the range I need with fermentors and fridges in the shed. So the laptop sits in the shed with them and it talks to the network so I can access on the web Gui on other devices. I use them for fermentors, fridge control and mash temp monitoring. From scratch I go wifi and nanos because it's the cheapest and I could have he laptop inside. UNOs prob easier because they have a lot more shields available off the shelf. I'm between brews so I might have a crack at the wifi option. [emoji481][emoji481]

I've posted a fair bit on the HBT tread so I wont repeat all that here, but after building 2 esp shields from parts I would recomend the sparkfun shield, about $10 more expensive than parts but all the work is done. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13287 ,it also has an external antenna connector if you need more range as well as the on board antenna tracks, where as I think you can only have external or on board with esp modules, eg. esp-07. Antennas from fleabay are a couple of bucks.

Also some thoughts about the instructible, you could also use docker and run multiple instances of a brewpi container as you can pass through USB devices into the containers, I've not tried it but it's documented. Docker is a bit if a leaning curve if you aren't familiar with it.

Happy to provide assistance with docker or esp's, just PM.

Also I wouldnt be a proud father to billions of yeasties without a photo :)
Z27gGFy.jpg

Back