Mulberry Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Bear

Reaction score
I have a mulberry tree in the back yard and have picked a big batch of berries to add to a stout. This is only my 5th batch of beer i have brewed and am still learning alot of things. I will be making this out of a kit and was thinking:

1 x 1.7 Morgans Dockside Stout
2 x 1kg Dark Liquid Malt or Morgans Chocmalt

As for the mulberries i am not sure how much to put in???
How to sanatise them, do i???
How to go about doing this???
Do i boil the mulberries and use the juice???

If someone could help me it would be much appriciated. Cheers.

:beer:

Not sure about mulberries, how strong the flavour is or whatever, but there are quite a few threads here on other types of berries. Do a search for raspberry or strawberry or blackberry, theres quite a few ideas out there on how to best get the flavour.

With raspberries, I stuffed a sanitised stocking with 1kg of frozen raspberries and added it to the cold conditioning cube.

Might be best to pasteurise the mulberries first, theres some info on that somewhere.

i also have a mulberry tree in my backyard.

and I won't be wasting them on no stout...

no offence. i just like eating mulberries.

Not sure about mulberries, how strong the flavour is or whatever, but there are quite a few threads here on other types of berries. Do a search for raspberry or strawberry or blackberry, theres quite a few ideas out there on how to best get the flavour.

With raspberries, I stuffed a sanitised stocking with 1kg of frozen raspberries and added it to the cold conditioning cube.

Might be best to pasteurise the mulberries first, theres some info on that somewhere.

Thanks for that.

I have just boiled up the mulberries and strained the juice. I am now going to freeze the juice because i read somewhere that freezing also kills some of the bugs.

I was now wondering how much juice i should put with a 23L batch????

And what is the difference if i put it in the Primary or Secondary????

Cheers

There's probably no need to freeze the juice if you've already boiled it. The one problem you might have is hazy beer after boiling the juice, but no real problem. But it might be a good storage idea.

It's probably best to add the juice to secondary. If you add it to primary, more of the aroma/flavour will be blown off by the active fermentation.

How much juice is such a difficult question. How strong does the juice seem? :unsure:

There's probably no need to freeze the juice if you've already boiled it. The one problem you might have is hazy beer after boiling the juice, but no real problem. But it might be a good storage idea.

It's probably best to add the juice to secondary. If you add it to primary, more of the aroma/flavour will be blown off by the active fermentation.

How much juice is such a difficult question. How strong does the juice seem? :unsure:

Thanx for that.

It smells quite strong i'd say a 7/10. Tastes nice like a mulberry tea. Is that any help?

Bear I three have a mulberry tree and I think your combo is very cluey. You have my head spinning for a Imperial Stout/mulberry barley wine; which would be ready for Chrissy 2009. It just has to blend with chrissy pudding as a dessert beer. Don't worry alarmists sampling shall occur pre 2009 to see how it is tracking :p

Mmm....mulberries.

If you boil fruit to pasturize it you'll set the pectins, causing pectin haze in the finished beer. Also you'll boil off most of the aromatics of the fruit.

My suggestion would be to wash the fruit, then freeze them in some airlock bags. It won't kill off all the nasties, but if you add them to the secondary then the alcohol in the base beer should help protect you from wild yeast. Thaw the fruit out before racking your base beer on top.

Also be careful with headspace if you're using glass fermenters. Some of the fruit bits float and can cause explosive blockages.

Bear I three have a mulberry tree and I think your combo is very cluey. You have my head spinning for a Imperial Stout/mulberry barley wine; which would be ready for Chrissy 2009. It just has to blend with chrissy pudding as a dessert beer. Don't worry alarmists sampling shall occur pre 2009 to see how it is tracking :p

I think it will mix well with the stout. Doe sound good for chrissy. Let me know how it goes.

:beerbang:

I think it will mix well with the stout. Doe sound good for chrissy. Let me know how it goes.

:beerbang:

Keep us all posted Bear! I've been toying with the idea of a mulberry stout (or dark ale) too.

Will be very interested to see how this goes. I've also been wanting to do a mulberry one for a bit but wasn't sure about amounts etc.

I was thinking about putting mine of hefeweizen though...

Dark ale of some sort could be very nice however...

Basic brewing radio did an episode on fruit beers (I think with Randy Mosher ??). It might be worth downloading the episode just for the info anyway and having a listen.

I know they talk a lot about how to use the fruit and quantities etc.

www.basicbrewing.com I think is the website.

Basic brewing radio did an episode on fruit beers (I think with Randy Mosher ??). It might be worth downloading the episode just for the info anyway and having a listen.

Here it is, I have a Cherry Wit CCing at the moment.

Here it is, I have a Cherry Hefe CCing at the moment.

Thanks for the link Bindi I will check it out. Cheers

:party:

Laid down my mulberry stout on Friday night. Recipe is as follows:

1 x Morgans Dockside Stout
1 x Morgans Master Blend Chocolate Malt
1 x Cup Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
1L Mulberry Juice
12g of Goldings Hops

OG: 1075

Took a reading today 2.5 days in 1018. Think this ones going to be a monster.

I will keep you posted with the progress of the Mulberry Stout.

Cheers

Bear

Cracked the first mulberry stout the other day. Very nice drop! Nice a smooth with a hint of mulberry afterwards. Will be making this one again!

Your recipe says 1L mulberry juice.

How did you get this? Is it bought or did you juice up the mulberries?

I'll be accessing mine in large quantities from a couple of trees when the time comes so I'm curious to know...

Did you get much of a colour or is it mostly hidden by the darkness of the stout?

Your recipe says 1L mulberry juice.

How did you get this? Is it bought or did you juice up the mulberries?

I'll be accessing mine in large quantities from a couple of trees when the time comes so I'm curious to know...

Did you get much of a colour or is it mostly hidden by the darkness of the stout?

I picked the mulberries from the tree we have at our house. Boiled them up for 15mins, then strained the juice slightly pressing the excess out. I then froze the juice overnight to further kill any bugs.

As for coulour the darkness of the stout pretty much takes up the mulberry colour.

Cheers

:beer:

Back