Msb Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfarrell

Reaction score
I've never made or drank a wheat beer before, so I bought a 2 can MSB wheat beer kit. Now at the same time, I've been experimenting with my fridge timer (please no fridgemate responses, I can't afford one yet). On the first day something bad happened, and the fridge stayed on all night, got really cold, like 8C. So I warmed it up and she restarted.

Well it's been a weird week in South Australia. Hot days, cold days, just when I think I have a good timer set, the weather changes drastically.

Well to make a long story a little shorter, I've been averaging 15-18C. a little cold but I wasn't worried.

My question is, what should the wort taste like?

It's getting a little sour, I know I shouldn't be worried, but the temp has been so cold, and not much action on the hydrometer. I don't know what a wheat beer should taste like, maybe it's ok... I just don't know.
:blink:

A true Bavarian wheat beer should be a little tart and dry, but still wheaty.

The object is to hold the temp as steady as U can. I know that's what you are doing, coz it's the way I used to do it too, but it could be a little more steady. The temp controller is a great investment.

Are you using a liquid specialty yeast, or the dry yeast from the kit?

Beerz
Seth :p

Are you using a liquid specialty yeast, or the dry yeast from the kit?

Just the dried yeast. The initial wort tasted fantastic, but I'm worried, it's starting to taste sour. Not sure it's right. But like I said, I've never had a wheat beer.

Is 16-18C too cold?

Would the initial cool down to 8C of hurt it?

From my experience with (belgian) wheatbeers they should taste a tad sour, but in a refreshing way, nothing more. If it's more than that you might have an infection.

Latest posts

Back