Mrs wants a cider!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok went with the sommerset gold recipe last night but forgot the lemon juice...is it worth adding now?

ok just took another reading OG was 1.054 last reading was 1.010 which puts it at 5.91% alcohol this is day 9 and its starting to taste a little dry

my question is should I keg it now or wait a few more days to keg it and just add some juice to it if needed to sweeten it up? If it gets down to 1.000 it will be just over 7%

Wait till its done then keg and sweeten if needed. Backsweetning is much more predictable if its not still fermenting.

Cheers
Dave

Just kegged it... It finished at 1.005 and I cold crashed it first

I'll let it gas for a week before I try it... People can add some juice if they find it do strong

How'd it come out Matty, gonna do the same for the Mrs

Bribie G said:
I've been making hobo ciders for a year or more and tried a number of yeasts and a number of juices. After some good results and some meh results - including a messy frothover using ale yeast - I go back again and again to an easy and reliable recipe, not the cheapest but still works out at around a dollar a longneck. If you want to try cheaper for a subsequent brew you can save the yeast cake from the first brew and just go pure Aldi Apple juice for next brew that takes it down to 60c a longie.

Tin Blackrock Cider
10 L Aldi apple juice
500g dex or just white sugar
top up with tap water to desired level for a keg size brew
Use the kit yeast and save the yeast cake for the next brew.

Keg before it gets too dry, it should be clear as the yeast tends to cling to the bottom of the FV and work from there. Ale yeasts tend to rise to the top and it gets messy. The cider will continue to work slowly in the keg so when it's getting too dry, just drag the keg out and tip a further 2L of juice in. This will turn out a fair knockoff of Strongbow or Mercury. As it works in the keg it will keep nice and sparkly.

I found a brilliant yeast nutrient at my LHBS - Vintners Harvest from NZ in the 100g pack - it's basically Diammonium phosphate but other minerals and stuff in it, it smells a bit yeasty so probably some yeast hull in there as well. Heaped TSP.

attachicon.gif
yeast nutrient.jpg

I've just started a 25litre version of that..
I did like the sound of it.
We don't drink a great deal of cider so it'll mature nicely.

Going to make another batch of this but maybe drop some of the pear juice.... what are good ways to back sweeten this in the keg? add lactose? or add apple concentrate to the keg after fully fermented?

just adding apple juice normally works fine from what ive heard.

i-a-n said:
I've just started a 25litre version of that..
I did like the sound of it.
We don't drink a great deal of cider so it'll mature nicely.
After 12 days in the bottle I couldn't resist a taster.

Sometimes I drink for that strange "dizzy" feeling in the head. This will definitely do the job.

Very dry, slight fizz, very interesting flavour. I love it.

I'll be keeping a bottle of Aldi apple juice on standby for sweetening etc in case guests can't cope.

Finally a cider really worth drinking.

Kegged this at 4.7% (not to strong/dry for the missus)... It's a hit!

Sg- 1044
Fg 1008

No backsweetening required.. I'm a fan

leighaus said:
Kegged this at 4.7% (not to strong/dry for the missus)... It's a hit!

Sg- 1044
Fg 1008

No backsweetening required.. I'm a fan
G'day mate. Which recipe did you use in the end.

Cheers
Trev

Latest posts

Back