Moving Into The Kegging World

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wadey

Reaction score
Hi Folks.

I have put my wish list into Santa and got the go ahead to get a Kegging System. I can get a twin 19Ltr system from Aussierbrewer
Aussiebrewer

Or you can get them on Ebay

Ebay Keg System

Any thoughts.

Have no idea what I am getting myself in for but I am sick and tired of bottling etc and have started to branch out with my Kit Brews so thought I may as well get on board.

Hopefully the links work.

Cheers

Wadey

Hi Folks.

I have put my wish list into Santa and got the go ahead to get a Kegging System. I can get a twin 19Ltr system from Aussierbrewer
Aussiebrewer

Or you can get them on Ebay

Ebay Keg System

Any thoughts.

Have no idea what I am getting myself in for but I am sick and tired of bottling etc and have started to branch out with my Kit Brews so thought I may as well get on board.

Hopefully the links work.

Cheers

Wadey

Hey Wadey,

Pouring one of your own off tap for the first time is a great day! trust.. let alone the time difference between bottling vs kegging.. but thats not what we're discussing! ;)

IMO - the 2 links you provided are much of a muchness.... I say, just buy the starter kit from where ever, at least 2 kegs + a good regulator and you will iron the rest out in the future. I promise once you start kegging a Joe Guest fitting or a little extra hosing will be nothing in the scheme of things!

I assume you have a fridge ready to mod?

Neither of them mention a CO2 bottle & the ebay one mentions non return valves but they don't seem to be included in the cost. My kegs cost a bit under $800 for 5 kegs, 2.6kg CO2 bottle, reg, non return valve, 4 gas disconnects, a (really basic but functional) gas manifold, 2 beer disconnects, many clamps, some clamp pliers, 2 picnic taps & a partridge in a pear tree. There's nothing at all that I regret about my purchase but in hindsight I probably should've got another 4 non return valves. I'm not sure what it costs to hire a CO2 bottle but I found out that if you don't check for gas leaks & empty a CO2 bottle in under a week it costs $25 for a refill.

I'd suggest having a look at Craftbrewer, you may spend more than you'd like to on a start up but I doubt you'll regret it. Having a look at the link, 4 cornies for $240 is a steal. I didn't see CO2 bottles on there but that may be because I just got home from the Wheaty.

hey, i'm assuming when you say you've got the go ahead you speak of getting permission from the minister for finance and recreation?
just buy the set up then tell her that you didn't realise you needed all the extra things but you have to have them and you can't return you keg kit.
she'll bend eventually :rolleyes: .
gas wise it'll cost about 120 bucks a year for cylinder rental and about 50 bucks for "vt" refill(larger than a d) which depending on how much you like beer will last between 6 & 12 months . i tend to use slightly more with pressure filtering but the results are well worth it.
its a proud moment when you pour and taste that first glass

Thanks guys.

Good advice. Yep have a frigde ready to go, bit concerned though about fitting two 19lt kegs but should be ok, its a 252lt fridge. I will have a bit more of a comprehensive look around and see how I go.

So I need non return valves as well, what do they do?

You can also get brand new 2.6kg CO2 cyclinder from the bay for $160 delievered and full of CO2, think I would rather buy a new won.

Cheers,

One idea might be to read all the info on multiple kegging t breads that already exist. That should answer just about every question u have.

You won't be looking back now!
My only advice would be if possible, get from your LHBS...I looked at all options when I got mine and just for advice, tips, ideas and assistance with setting the thing up and converting a fridge I found that being able to talk to someone face to face was a lot easier than ebay or online. I got 4 kegs, brand new CO2, reg, tap, lines, everything for the same price as ebay or on line.

Price was the same and as i got my stuff from him including a new CO2, I get a few favours such as spare line, cheaper gas refills etc when I need them.

Thanks guys.

Good advice. Yep have a frigde ready to go, bit concerned though about fitting two 19lt kegs but should be ok, its a 252lt fridge. I will have a bit more of a comprehensive look around and see how I go.

So I need non return valves as well, what do they do?

You can also get brand new 2.6kg CO2 cyclinder from the bay for $160 delievered and full of CO2, think I would rather buy a new won.

Cheers,

Do you know anyone local who has kegs? It may be worth borrowing a couple to check if they'll fit.

1 non return valve is an absolute minimum. It'll keep beer out of yr reg (regs don't like beer). I'm getting 4 more to stop the beer from 1 keg ending up in another keg.

The 2.6kg bottle from ebay should be fine.

Back