Moving A Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBird

Reaction score
Hi

What's people's view on when to switch on a fridge when you have transported it from one place to another?

I've read/heard that you should let it stand for 24 hours after moving it before switching it on. But then I've been told that you only do this if you've had to lay the fridge on its side.

The problem for me is that I need to switch over fridges (the old one is currently cold conditioning a lager at around 2 degrees) as soon as possible.

Thanks all

If it remained upright then u could probably turn on after an hour or so of moving

My old man once told me for every hour u had the fridge laying on its side give it 2 hours to recover. Moved a few times and kept to this advice and never had a problem. I have a 30 year old beer fridge still kicking and a 15 year old bar fridge that have moved plenty of times!

Dpends on the fridge, type of compressor.....blah blah blah. We have an Amana that the delivery guys had to turn on it's side to get in the house and they just plugged it in and turned it on. I was stammering and pointing and the guy just tells me to relax, new technology compressors... no sweat and it's now 12 years old and still going strong.

I guess the point is, if it's old, or you're not sure about it, leave it at least for a few hours for everything to settle back where it lives.

It's strange that I never heard about keeping fridges upright, etc, etc in the UK. I moved house loads of times and never kept fridges upright or waited to turn them on. Never had a problem with any either.

I recognise that Australia is the world fridge capital though, of course.

Just sayin'.

It's strange that I never heard about keeping fridges upright, etc, etc in the UK. I moved house loads of times and never kept fridges upright or waited to turn them on. Never had a problem with any either.

I recognise that Australia is the world fridge capital though, of course.

Just sayin'.

Fridge fetishists Shed, that's all :)

We can't put our Christmas drinks out on the patio and have them be nice and chilled =).

Ive been told by a family member who is a refridgeration mechanic that for domestic fridges manufactured in the last 15 years it really doesnt matter. My understanding from what he told me is that it has to do with really old compressors, and refridgerant that isnt really seen much these days.

So, transport it upside down and plug it back in if you so wish...(make sure you take the beer out before turning it upside down though =) )

I used to know a guy in Norway who worked at a second hand store.
He enjoyed arguing with customers. No idea why.
Every story seemed to be about how some customer was dumb and he was clever.
He told me they always made a point when selling used fridges to tell the customer to put the fridge on the side.
That some of them always came back wanting their money back and he would have a great time refusing, saying they put it on the other side.

Since then I've moved ..? 5, 10 times? And every time tried to remember what side he said it had to lie on, it had something to do with the cooler rack on the back, one side could be identified as up or down or whatever it was on the compressor. I have never been able to remember what he said and after a couple of moves realized that I now probably had put the fridges on any possible side without ever having a problem with the fridge after the move :D

Maybe it used to be true a long time ago and was something the fridge bigwigs got together and just sorted.

Bjorn

i have been told by many at least 2-4 hours. I always try to transport upright though so never had a problem. never really knew why you have to leave them sit, but thought its something to do with the gas as I guess it is liquid in the compressor so that might move around the system and need time to settle. thats just a thought though so dunno any truth to it

I used to know a guy in Norway who worked at a second hand store.
He enjoyed arguing with customers. No idea why.
Every story seemed to be about how some customer was dumb and he was clever.
He told me they always made a point when selling used fridges to tell the customer to put the fridge on the side.
That some of them always came back wanting their money back and he would have a great time refusing, saying they put it on the other side.

Since then I've moved ..? 5, 10 times? And every time tried to remember what side he said it had to lie on, it had something to do with the cooler rack on the back, one side could be identified as up or down or whatever it was on the compressor. I have never been able to remember what he said and after a couple of moves realized that I now probably had put the fridges on any possible side without ever having a problem with the fridge after the move :D

Maybe it used to be true a long time ago and was something the fridge bigwigs got together and just sorted.

Bjorn

maybe it was to do with the fridge was stuffed already so it was a good excuse lol never know what them 2nd hand joints get upto

We can't put our Christmas drinks out on the patio and have them be nice and chilled =).

Hmmm, maybe not at Christmas ... but I bet where you live you can do it in July ;)

Hmmm, maybe not at Christmas ... but I bet where you live you can do it in July ;)

I guess if you're English you might consider the drinks cold enough (luke-warm) =p.

I'm looking forward to this winter. Firstly, we can't lose the ashes if there's no ashes tests. Secondly, I'll be able to use my keg fridge for lagering while I pour stout at ambient temperatures.

Back on topic, if I move a fridge I leave it for a day or 2 before turning it on but I'm not sure if it's necessary for modern fridges. Better safe than fridgeless though.

I have heard that if you lay them down with the compressor outlet pipe at the top is the way to go.

That way the refrigerant will stay put and not travel around the system and no need to wait to turn them on.
Sounds reasonable to me. :)

I have heard that if you lay them down with the compressor outlet pipe at the top is the way to go.

That way the refrigerant will stay put and not travel around the system and no need to wait to turn them on.
Sounds reasonable to me. :)

Sounds reasonable, but is this 'compressor outlet pipe' harder or easier to find than this mythical "g-spot" I keep hearing about? :D

What does it look like (the pipe I mean!) and is it visible without pulling the fridge apart?

Cheers
Homer

Compressor on the low side has always been my rule if I've HAD to lay a fridge down. Oil running out of the compressor and into the refridgerant side of things is what I was told to avoid.

Oh, for God's sake ... can't we all just leave the fridges alone :D

yeah I know a bloke who turned on a fridge after transporting it on it side, didnt wait long enough and it literally exploded, hollywood style.

yeah I know a bloke who turned on a fridge after transporting it on it side, didnt wait long enough and it literally exploded, hollywood style.

Now that I'd pay to see

Latest posts

Back