Mouldy Filter Cartridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wadey

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I used my new beer filter over xmas and just went to use it again and found mould spots on it. It must have still had some moisture in it and I would say the humidity in Brisbane over xmas didn't help. I have it soaking in napisan do you think that will get rid of the bloody mould? Anyone have any better suggestions or had the same issue?

Cheers Wadey

Get some peroxide from the chemist and soak it if the nappi-san wont shift it. If all else fails, bleach then rinse with hot water

Ta mate, will see how it looks after 24 hous in napisan, fingers crossed.

I'd soak it in vinegar first, the acid will kill of the spores. Then a good soak in nappi-san to make it clean again.

I've had this before. A good long (like days) soak in Napisan did it, with the solution being refreshed a few times. Kev's vinegar first suggestion probably would have been a good idea too.

Thanks guys I'm hoping napisan will do it, will see how it looks tomorrow then might give the vinegar a go. Lesson learnt, should have made sue it was 100% dry. Got a shock when I grabbed it out this morning and I was all set to go too.

Can depend on how bad the mould is . Some times it can leave a pink stain, and you will never get rid of that pink stain.

I know this from bitter experience :angry:

Ducatiboy stu said:
Can depend on how bad the mould is . Some times it can leave a pink stain, and you will never get rid of that pink stain.

I know this from bitter experience :angry:
Is the pink stain actually harmful?

Well...I am still alive.....

Its just leaves a stain on plastics.My old esky tun had a few pink stains on there for a few years.

Back