Mould In Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
last night I went to start the crash chilling of a brew in my fridge and found a few small patches of mould around the bottom corners of the fridge, I figure this is because of the moisture coming from the freezer section, which is like one of those old ones where the freezer section is actually inside the fridge. I wipe up the droplets all the time but this isn't sufficient to keep the mould at bay. Just wondering if there's a trick to keep it at bay? Or is it just a case of srubbing the stuff off after every brew? I was thinking of some starsan sprayed over it, you reckon that'd kill it?

last night I went to start the crash chilling of a brew in my fridge and found a few small patches of mould around the bottom corners of the fridge, I figure this is because of the moisture coming from the freezer section, which is like one of those old ones where the freezer section is actually inside the fridge. I wipe up the droplets all the time but this isn't sufficient to keep the mould at bay. Just wondering if there's a trick to keep it at bay? Or is it just a case of srubbing the stuff off after every brew? I was thinking of some starsan sprayed over it, you reckon that'd kill it?

Unfortunately the temperatures we keep our fridges at to ferment beer are also pretty good temperatures for mould growth.

I personally use some mould cleaner from the supermarket whenever I see some, otherwise I just use a disenfectant type spray to clean the fridge after each brew which seems to work nicely.

Another thing I'm a bit concerned about is when I do my partials I struggle to cool to pitching temp without sticking it in the fridge for a few hours before I pitch (epescially in summer). Whilst it's cooling the air from inside the fridge would slowly be being sucked in through the airlock/gladwrap, that's surley got to be a problem if mould spores are present? I doubt we could kill 100% of the spores cleaning it, not all of the inner surface of the fridge is completely seamless, surely there's mould in places we can't see/get to?

It's better to get to pitching temps than to worry about mould spores. There must be a way to get the wort to the correct temp before putting it in the fridge. What about using chilled water to dilute.

Another thing I'm a bit concerned about is when I do my partials I struggle to cool to pitching temp without sticking it in the fridge for a few hours before I pitch (epescially in summer). Whilst it's cooling the air from inside the fridge would slowly be being sucked in through the airlock/gladwrap, that's surley got to be a problem if mould spores are present? I doubt we could kill 100% of the spores cleaning it, not all of the inner surface of the fridge is completely seamless, surely there's mould in places we can't see/get to?

While I personally don't like the idea of leaving fresh wort in a fridge for any period of time without yeast in it I know of at least one brewer here who sometimes leaves his wort overnight and doesn't have any problems. Risk of infection is always there but I think this is a case of RDWHAHB. I've seen some pretty gross looking fridges produce some pretty good tasting beers.

Clean it as best you can between brews and you'll be fine.

If the surfaces have been sanitised the air inside the fridge would be as safe (maybe safer) as the air outside that you aerated your wort with. I used to have sourdough ferments going in the ferment fridge (18C is lovely). Dunno if it makes any difference but I had no-rinse in my air lock..

@Sunshine_Brewer, chilled water is an option, but to boil then cool 10 litres of tap water would be a right pain in the arse IMO. I know I could buy those 10L spring water jobbies but don't wanna fork out the splash every time.

@simma, Spose I'll find out over the weekend when I brew, I'll leave it in the fridge (after cleaning it) to cool and RDWHAHB while it's there untill pitching temp is reached

Cheers

If the surfaces have been sanitised the air inside the fridge would be as safe (maybe safer) as the air outside that you aerated your wort with. I used to have sourdough ferments going in the ferment fridge (18C is lovely). Dunno if it makes any difference but I had no-rinse in my air lock..

Yeah I wonder if a starsan filled airlock would sort out those spores? Maybe some glad wrap over the top of the airlock (just sort of half arsed wrapped on) to help? will do that too me thinks

I use vinegar, mine seems to get mouldy quick.

When the fridge is not in use I leave the door open.

What substance would you put in the fridge to take up any excess moisture as that seems to encourage the mould too.

Fents's idea is good. I get quite alto of droplets coming from the freezer section though so I'd still have to wipe the fridge out every day or so. I think the damp-rid would help with the humidity though

RapidMouldKiller.jpg

Spray liberally.

Some mould killer sprays don't play well with metallic surfaces so take care.

Resisting the urge to open the door several times a day to check proceedings will also reduce the amount of condensation forming - unless your seals are knackered then it won't make any difference. :(

Our new(ish) 'inside' fridge supposedly has an anti-mould lining - anybody know how these work?

I have a similar issue HB79, my old ferment fridge drips condensation from the freezer compatment onto the lid of the fermentor. Plus onto the floor.

No drain holes hence I get a shallow puddle on the lid and in the fridge base.

I have only had mould when krausen overflowed onto the floor.

I am going to fix a proper strength shelf (in lieu of bricks) to hold the fermenter, leaving room underneath for a simple wipe away with a cloth when wet..

Hoping this will do the trick for this very old fridge.

I have a hell of alot of mold in my fridge, I thought thats whats causing a few infected beers Iv'e had recently.It's a old fridge but throwing it out this weekend( have a kerb side pickup) and am getting a newer seconhand fridge next week.I had shitloads of mold growing under the crisper bins, I removed the bins and tried cleaning it but there was just too much!

Andrew

Another thing I'm a bit concerned about is when I do my partials I struggle to cool to pitching temp without sticking it in the fridge for a few hours before I pitch (epescially in summer).
The other way to look at it is, crank your fridge freezer down lower than fermenting, i.e. 2 or 3 deg. This will chill your wort faster, and not encourage the mould/spore development, then let it ramp up to where you need it to remain. by the time the mould is kicking, so is your yeast, and having positive pressue out of your fermenter will only help the situation.

Another good idea Maple

salt water spray does the trick, make it as strong as sea water.

Back