Motueka (formerly B Saaz)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - Fantastic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Appalling

• 0 - Never used it

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
not a bad hop at all citrus flavour a bit of restraint in a pils but spieghts do us eit the pale ale and in the pils with sauvin as well plus i think the Wanaka beer works use it ase well in the pils

Ahhhhhh Jaz............

ya still cant type mate :)

Lucky you can brew :)

cheers

I'm a little different. I get a little fruitiness, but I also get quite a bit of spiceiness and peppery flavours with B Saaz. Used it a couple of times, one of the best was in a Saison, great stuff :beerbang:

Cheers.

gotta bump this thread cause its a popular hop and thread needs some more recent filling in.
brewing a pale, hop thief/bright/ yeah you know the beer 2morrow.

Love this hop BSaaz especially in Tony's LCBA clone. The citrus it brings combined with cascade is fantastic and an absolute winner IMO.

I'm a little different. I get a little fruitiness, but I also get quite a bit of spiceiness and peppery flavours with B Saaz. Used it a couple of times, one of the best was in a Saison, great stuff :beerbang:

Cheers.

I reckon ALL NZ hops give alot of black pepper, it conditions out tho..

Got 100g of Motueka in my freezer, may have to dabble soonish..

I love this hop in a pilsner.
I've used it a few times now, on its own or in conjunction with others, like Nelson Sauvin.
Nothing complex, 90/10 pilsner/munich, bittered to 25-35IBU with a 60 minute addition and a 15 minute addition of 1.23g/litre, rounded unless your scales are really good :)
The flavour addition amount comes from a sluggerdog recipe on here somewhere and I've found it works nicely to my taste.

Used b saaz in a single hop ale with a pale, vienna, crystal, wheat base. 20gbittering, 25flavour and 25 aroma in 22litres. It was quite strong but pretty clean, so good value. Found it much more spicy/peppery than citrusy.

Think it would be great in a single hop lager/pilsner, but i am not brewing these styles yet. Wont use as a single hop ale again but will definitely try again with another hop that is citrusy/fruity.

Think it would be great in a single hop lager/pilsner, but i am not brewing these styles yet. Wont use as a single hop ale again but will definitely try again with another hop that is citrusy/fruity.

Ive used it late in a CAP with perle as the bittering hop and aroind 10g of hallertau @20mins (was just to get rid of it) At first when it was fresh and dropped bright, the flavour was very overwhelming... give it a month~ and the flavour mellows and becomes something special. A very good hop Motoueka is.

I have some of this in my freezer that I am dying to use. Will use it in some kind of ale, but not sure what type and if I will use with something else or a smash.

I have some of this in my freezer that I am dying to use. Will use it in some kind of ale, but not sure what type and if I will use with something else or a smash.

This is my plan for the weekend: an ESB, trying to clone HH ESB. i'll see how it goes. i think they use Galaxy now though.

HH ESB
Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Type: All Grain
Date: 29/07/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.5 %
0.35 kg Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) Grain 6.0 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
0.20 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM) Grain 3.4 %
0.05 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (178.0 SRM) Grain 0.9 %
20.00 gm B Saaz - Motueka [7.10%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.0 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
10.00 gm B Saaz - Motueka [7.10%] (0 min) Hops -
14.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 34.4 IBU
Est Color: 9.2 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.21 L of water at 73.5 C 67.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.54 L of water at 93.0 C 75.6 C 10 min

Notes
1g each of cacl and chalk in mah
2g each of Gypsum, CaCl and MgSO4 in boil

*Dig, dig, dig....ahhh, there's the correct thread*

I'm just splitting up 500g Motueka into 56s for the freezer and also for today's Motueka/Citra lager (my first lager, but with ale malt...don't much like that pilsner/corny flavour).
Anyway, all I can smell is this amazing black curranty aroma. I don't think I'd describe it as citrus as such, as I've read in descriptions. Maybe a touch, but much more dark berry to me. Anyone else found this ?
Really looking forward to this.
I've dialled back the Citra since smelling this to let it come out more.

Necroing this one - woot!

I'm going to look at dry hopping my swap beer (AIPA). I'm whacking in Cascade of course, but wondering if this added in will be a good helper? The stats numbers wise seem to indicate dry hopping is a good idea, but wondering about the qualitative (taste) factors.

I just dry hopped a pilsner with it and find it quite floral tasting. The biggest thing I have noticed is that it drops the arome very quickly. Pretty much have a pilsner with not smell.

I used it in a SMaSH pilsner and loved it. As for the commercial brewery I believe Murrays rudeboy pilsner uses it.

Has anyone used Motueka in an IPA? I was thinking of doing a simple grist of mostly pale malt, some wheat and 3% crystal 20L and bittering then loading in some cascade in the whirlpool and motueka plus another hop in the cube.

I could pair it with:

- Riwaka
- NZ Cascade
- Ella
- Mosaic

Any guidance would be awesome.

Motueka, NZ Cascade and Southern Cross make an awesome IPA. Can't speak for Riwaka. Haven't used it. I myself wouldn't pair Motueka and Mosaic, but that's really just personal preference.

I've used motueka and riwaka together in my most recent version of Tony's LCBA/LFBA - it worked well, very complimentary. I wouldn't have a problem pairing with any of the hops you list. However, I also agree with Mardoo about not pairing with Mosaic, but only because (not sure of his reasoning) I think it would be a waste: mosaic is so prominent that I think the motueka would be lost.

Back