Motoring Millmaster Part01 - Dismantle The Washingmachine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BP: you may wany to try turning the pulley around. I have a 10" and have the the pulley wheel closer to the mill body. I was a little sketchy of the belt tension require to grip the 1.25" pulley might put a fair lateral load on the millmaster shaft, so I wanted the wheel as close to the mill as possible. It only just fit though, with the set screw near the end of the shaft and the pulley spokes clearing the adjusting knob by 10mm or less.

And yeah, my key didnt fit, I just filed it down to 4mm. And my adjustment knobs are out too.

Might try it. But then again its "tight as" already to get the fingers in to turn the knurls on the mill so might just put those "superior" bearings inside the mill to the test and leave as is.

I got the key in, no thanks to having to get emery paper and wet sand the key down by hand until all the skin on my fingertips were nearly off. It was a tight fit but a little bit of hammering and it slid in easily and is all done like a dogs dinner and perfect as.

I got the bench built, well I am waiting for the rechargeable drill to finish charging and then its only to glue the bench top board in place and then some minor top hole work and some custom building of a motor housing and done!

I am saving the last great surprise and set of pictures until I am done because this is going to be a super mill setup that will definitely impress :)

Fingers crossed on the motor turning the MillMaster on first fire up. Starts with a lot of torque and almost wants to jump off the bench on initial startup energy so I have some high hopes pinned on this motor.

Until then its mums the word on what the final mill setup will be I'm afraid :p

Oh I also found out where the 150 RPM rule came from. Not having any data some brewers must have turned to the flour mill stone grinding industry and looked at recommendations there. In flour mill stones you want to keep the speed under 150 RPM to prevent over heating the milled flour and destroying the enzymes in the flour. This rule does not apply to roller mills where you roll or crush the grain as you are not grinding it into a fine powder. So again its up in the air on RPM unless someone has advice they can back up with some other references.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

EDIT: I still have to get the hopper I think Ross needs to let me know if Him-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named has finally designed and shipped a hopper with built in grain guard. Otherwise more work for me to do and more negative points against the shadow man.

getting sick of this post, just show us when it f***** done!

getting sick of this post, just show us when it f***** done!
:lol:

good luck with the motor mate, I've read that unless its cap start its gunna have SFA torque at 0rpm, so you might want to only throw grain in there once it's up to speed. I read about someone on here recently who has to kind of "clutch start" their mill that runs with a washing machine motor. Probably easier to make a gate or something at the bottom of the hopper so you can control the load on the rollers.

Alright time to close this thread.

I have uploaded a video of the finished motor housing and niceties like a proper On/Off switch and Full Reverse and Forward switch to control motor direction.

It started raining outside against the tin roof of the shed as I started filming but it doesn't interfere much with the video.

Stay tuned for the construction of the Grain Master 5000 Work Bench :lol:

As a sneak peak preview in an upcoming series watch me turn this:
ProofBoxPreview.jpg
Into a Bread Proofing Box controlling both temperature and humidity to get doughs fully raised in 25 minutes to 60 minutes no matter how cold it is inside!

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back