Mornington Peninsula Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popped in to the brewery this arvo with the wife to try the fourth brew being made at MPB - a Porter, which was launched today.

I was talking to Andrew Gow (the brewer) about the porter and loved how he put it when I asked him where he thought the Porter was on the 1 - 100% scale. He said "this is the beer that shows people what I can do." I would say he is pretty proud of this one and I would also say that this one is rated at 100%!! It is certainly the best and most balanced beer of the four they now have on tap. It has a very smooth, creamy mouth feel, a lovely chocolate character giving way to subtle coffee and finishes very clean but with a slight fruit/hop character that lingers.

I was with my wife so I wasnt paying as much attention to the beer as I would normally so I cant say more other than the fact it is certainly a beer worthy to inspire a following. I only had the one sadly as I was driving at it comes in at 6% - not that you would know as the beer was so smooth and had no heat on the palate. IN short lovely!

Good to talk to Andrew about what and where he is doing/taking the other beers to make them closer to his vision - as I said previously it is exciting to be at the begining of something to watch how it grows and progresses. We all have vision when we start out but it takes time and experience to actually fullfil that vision.

I also has some of their pizza and am happy to report it was bloody good.

If you can - do yourself a favour.

edit: forgot to mention the Wife loved all the beers (although she didnt try the Brown) and loved the pizza - looks like I am going to have to work harder on my pizzas!

Dropped into the brewery today for a quick ale before picking my daughter up from work - had the Pale and I have to say with a little bit of age on it it is drinking really well!! Better than when I first had it a couple of weeks ago.

I also tried the next incarnation of Andrews search for the perfect Brown - and whilst it is still missing the 'Brown' mark by ten or so percent I actually prefered it to his first version. It is quite different but more to style than the first version.

I am loving watching the beers change and develop lso loving talking to the locals about what they reckon - and so far it is all good!

Are they pulling all them wine sipping, calamari sucking, pompous locals that inhabit certain and many parts of the peninsula? Or is it a middleclass welcome place without a parking meter out the front?
If the latter, I cant wait to touch base and check it out but the only reference thus far is Fuji Cres?

Obviously the approach works for them (and I have no experience with that kind of thing) however I'd have thought that one would try to get the product as close to 100% before opening and to always try to present the best beer they can right from the start. I'm not sure I'm that 'inspired' to want to visit until they have at least a few batches down and have things working out as well as they obviously expect to in the future.

I think 85-90% there could be considered hitting 100% for your opening batches.

Are they pulling all them wine sipping, calamari sucking, pompous locals that inhabit certain and many parts of the peninsula? Or is it a middleclass welcome place without a parking meter out the front?
If the latter, I cant wait to touch base and check it out but the only reference thus far is Fuji Cres?
Here ya go ,
Bloke....
Mornington Peninsula Brewery
72 Watt Road
Mornington VIC 3931
Brewery: (03) 5976 3663

Westgate are doing a bus trip down there in Nov....we now have access to a 40 seat coach...$15 for non-westgate members...$5 for westgate members...details will follow in great detail...doing true south , red hill and mornington peninsula...all on a Sunday...did hear a rumour there could also be beer on the bus....

Wait until you see this place haysie, it's like pulling up outside Pete's place in Boronia. Nothing pretentious about it at all!
As for the clientel, I'm tipping it will take a dive on saturday when a mate and I roll up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pick me up Ferg,
drunk_man_in_poland.jpg
I love calamari.......
calamari.jpg
then pick Tails up
chris_tails.jpg

:kooi:

Well they are pulling people of my caliber which says something....I am not quite sure what though? Hey I am looking forward to the bus turning up - let me know when and I will be there for a bit of a drink and a chat although you may not want to mix with me as I am of that caliber!

ps parking is free out on the dirt kerb next to the second hand car yard with the guard dogs - do not feed them as they will eat your hand!

:rolleyes: Your reviews of the beer were better :icon_cheers:

Got workmates hooked on expansion of beer palate. :p So, as a farewell for one of our colleagues we will be hitting MPB this friday @ ~6pm!

Looking forward to trying the beers and pizza, and a great night with about 20 souls. :D

Cheers Ken

SMS from the brewery today says that their latest specialty is now on tap. Hefeweizen, although that means the Porter is no more......or is it? A little birdy, at the brewery, told me they are keeping two kegs for twelve months.

SMS from the brewery today says that their latest specialty is now on tap. Hefeweizen, although that means the Porter is no more......or is it? A little birdy, at the brewery, told me they are keeping two kegs for twelve months.

I will be down there in an hour for a sample!!

I visited today and is say I have to agree. Only had the ipa and draught.(only two I could see on tap). But they were both fairly bland. I'd rather drink a nice homebrew.

Your talking about Wig & Pen yeah? Mornington don't have an IPA and they sure as hell don't have a "draught".

Had the MP Porter last night at The Local, very nice Porter. Much better than the Tassie showcase beers...

Your talking about Wig & Pen yeah? Mornington don't have an IPA and they sure as hell don't have a "draught".

Had the MP Porter last night at The Local, very nice Porter. Much better than the Tassie showcase beers...

Hmm I'm not sure now..
Pigs ass was labeled as an ipa and pigs twatter was labelled as a draught.

Hmm I'm not sure now..
Pigs ass was labeled as an ipa and pigs twatter was labelled as a draught.

Not the Wig & Pen they have 14 beers on tap, the IPA is hand pumped

Ah shit, posting too hungover/not awake. Got Wig, Pig, Pen all mixed up. Meant to post Pig & Whistle not Wig & Pen.

Pig & Whistle have there beers named crap like pigs ass, pigs twatter. So yeah, it was what I though.

Morning Peninsula have standard names; Porter, Hefeweizen etc. and so far so good! I'll get down that way soon I hope.

Latest posts

Back