Mornington Peninsula Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the MPB a few weeks ago (The missus lives just around the corner) and was very impressed with all their beers. They currently have a specialty called The Tardis which is a dark ale with hints of franjelico. But their Pale Ale is bloody magnificent and easily my favourite beer. I also like the Nut Brown.
Its a pain that majestic Cellars in Mt Eliza is the only bottlo that sells it (I find myself detouring there on my way home a couple of nights a week so buy a 6 pack.) Although the owner their tells me shes going to be selling it at Tanti Bottlo soon too.

Its a great venue, just a shed with the brewing done at one end, the bar in the middle and table and chairs at the other end. Also some tables outside for that great summer Sunday session feel.
You can also walk upstairs to a balcony and look down over the brewery or lounge on comfortable couches. We went for one beer on our way home from shopping and stayed for four hours. Had a quattro pizza (Four cheeses) which was bloody fantastic. Or maybe that was the 5 beers I had before the pizza??

6017177712_6db30a02b1.jpg

Ignore the date in the photo its an effect in the app I used on my iphone.

6072269169_c75afce9cc.jpg

Can anybody confirm whether they sell 6 packs of their beer over the counter at the brewery itself?

Heading down the Peninsula for the weekend, and planning to drop in to the brewery on the way, but this man is not a camel.

The MPB IPA is drool-worthy :icon_drool2:

Yes WarmBeer.
You can get any of their bottled beer from the bar, in straight or mixed six-packs.
But there may be a beer or two you can only get on tap.

Can anybody confirm whether they sell 6 packs of their beer over the counter at the brewery itself?

Heading down the Peninsula for the weekend, and planning to drop in to the brewery on the way, but this man is not a camel.

The MPB IPA is drool-worthy :icon_drool2:

I'm pretty sure they do, but only by teh six pack.
I'm going to suss out the Higgonbothom (winery ) Brewery soon in Dromana. I believe they are making some pretty good beers under the radar...tbc.
It's not far from Red Hill Brewery, so you could do the trifecta...

I'm going to suss out the Higgonbothom (winery ) Brewery soon in Dromana. I believe they are making some pretty good beers under the radar...tbc.
Yup, you are correct about Hix, I know the head brewer there. He makes a very good APA.

I'm sure the kids won't mind another slight detour :)

Well worth doing the trifecta. They are all great breweries and serve great beer. The Redhill Brewery does an awesome ploughmans lunch.

I love mornington brewery - the fact I can nearly roll on my balls home from there makes it especially nice. But I was dissapointed with the way they hosted a function I attended recently. Especially the manner in which they forced everyone out of the venue.
Other than that its a great joint well worth a visit. Parking is substancially easier than redhill!

Tried their beer for the first time on the weekend.
Had the pale ale at Montalto restaurant. Came out ice cold with a glass straight from the freezer. Even at the wrong temp it was a great APA. So I asked the waitress to take one out of the fridge for me (15 mins before I needed it). She was happy to oblige.
Then when I was almost finished the second one a bloody midgie landed in it (can't blame him, I would have dived in too). So I asked the waitress for something to fish him out. Wouldn't have a bar of it, brought me a fresh one.
Finish dessert and the bill comes out. Only been charged for one of the three beers. Top beer at a top restaurant. Top night all round.

Tried their beer for the first time on the weekend.
Had the pale ale at Montalto restaurant. Came out ice cold with a glass straight from the freezer. Even at the wrong temp it was a great APA. So I asked the waitress to take one out of the fridge for me (15 mins before I needed it). She was happy to oblige.
Then when I was almost finished the second one a bloody midgie landed in it (can't blame him, I would have dived in too). So I asked the waitress for something to fish him out. Wouldn't have a bar of it, brought me a fresh one.
Finish dessert and the bill comes out. Only been charged for one of the three beers. Top beer at a top restaurant. Top night all round.

Mate you did well. Ive never seen MPB Pale Ale at any restuarant other than the brewery and The Grand hotel in Mornington.

Its sold at Majestic Cellars in Mt Eliza and at both Thirsty Camel bottlos on either side of the Nepean Hwy in Mornington.

Called into majestic tonight and got myself 3 MPB nut brown ales and 3 pale ales and am enjoying them now.

If you want to try and brew it follow the Sticks and Stones recipe in the database. Although it tastes like they may use galaxy Ive been told they only use Citra and Amarillo by an overzealous barman at MPB.

I love mornington brewery - the fact I can nearly roll on my balls home from there makes it especially nice. But I was dissapointed with the way they hosted a function I attended recently. Especially the manner in which they forced everyone out of the venue.
Other than that its a great joint well worth a visit. Parking is substancially easier than redhill!

Id like to see you rolling on your balls up the Moorooduc..lol.

What function was that..The Strisselspat Pilsener release night? If so whats it like??

BTW Why doesn't that Bottlo next to KFC and the chemist there sell Redhill or MPB??

Do you get to the Baxter much Komodo? Great pub, great food, but their beer choice is very poor. They need to update their beer to match the ambiance of the place.

Mate you did well. Ive never seen MPB Pale Ale at any restuarant other than the brewery and The Grand hotel in Mornington.

Its sold at Majestic Cellars in Mt Eliza and at both Thirsty Camel bottlos on either side of the Nepean Hwy in Mornington.

Called into majestic tonight and got myself 3 MPB nut brown ales and 3 pale ales and am enjoying them now.

If you want to try and brew it follow the Sticks and Stones recipe in the database. Although it tastes like they may use galaxy Ive been told they only use Citra and Amarillo by an overzealous barman at MPB.
Have these bottlo's got the IPA in stock at the moment?

(Yes, I know, you're probably not an official employee of Thirsty Camel, and don't have ready access to their stock inventory system :D )

Going to be passing by the brewery a little too early it turns out, they don't open til 3 pm. Don't they know, it's okay to drink once the sun gets over the yardarm? Slackers!

Have these bottlo's got the IPA in stock at the moment?

(Yes, I know, you're probably not an official employee of Thirsty Camel, and don't have ready access to their stock inventory system :D )

Going to be passing by the brewery a little too early it turns out, they don't open til 3 pm. Don't they know, it's okay to drink once the sun gets over the yardarm? Slackers!

Mate I didnt know that MPB had done an IPA, (missed your comment in your post above) I don't think Majestic have it yet and they would if it was sold in bottles. All I saw there last night was the Pale, the Brown and the Witbier.

But I will phone them today and see if they are getting it in.

Apparently yes they do sell MPB IPA at Majestic. I just phoned them. Spewing I didn't see it there last night.

Apparently yes they do sell MPB IPA at Majestic. I just phoned them. Spewing I didn't see it there last night.
Get some.

It's good, very good. I had one the other week, and followed it with one of the limited release Little Creatures Big Dipper. It blew the LC away.

Get some.

It's good, very good. I had one the other week, and followed it with one of the limited release Little Creatures Big Dipper. It blew the LC away.

Where did you get the LC big dipper from?

Id like to see you rolling on your balls up the Moorooduc..lol.

What function was that..The Strisselspat Pilsener release night? If so whats it like??

BTW Why doesn't that Bottlo next to KFC and the chemist there sell Redhill or MPB??

Do you get to the Baxter much Komodo? Great pub, great food, but their beer choice is very poor. They need to update their beer to match the ambiance of the place.

It was a private function for a mate of mines engagement. 3 couples there regularly go to MPB and love the place and there was 5 guys there (myself included) who are full mash brewers so we love MPB but that was a bit rough IMO.

No idea never even been into that bottle-o to be honest. I do drive into that carpark regularly too as thats where we drop a 'U-ie' to take the dog to the leash free park at baxter sports fields pretty much every day.

Been to the Baxter once and really wasnt that impressed by it. Supposedly it used to be much better according to my foreman who's lived in the baxter, pearcedale, somerville area for the past 40od years. I've not found a real good pub for a meal down our way as yet - which is a shame as I used to go to the 'Cardi' in beaconsfield all the time for a steak (although thats gone down hill recently too) It is a bit of a shame the local pubs arent show casing the beers from the local region a bit more. Most 'holiday' areas (and lets be honest the peninsula is regarded by most as a holiday area) do a lot of show casing of local produce but the peninsula doesnt seem to get that at all. There are pockets - ie red hill but over all ...

Got to the brewery for the first time in a while tonight.

Loved the brown ale
Not any more. Tastes like it has a squirt of Cottee's chocolate topping in it now. Truly repugnant. The White IPA was nice enough but nothing I'd be stoked on making. The saison was underwhelming to my palate (not had many saisons and enjoyed only half of them so this could easy be more me than them)

Pizzas were okay but I kinda don't like ordering a 4 cheese pizza and it coming out tasting like a cheese toastie (aka - put some bloody toppings on!).
I copped a teeny-tiny amount of heat for this statement originally and was also told they were going to change the pizzas a bit. Turns out there were changed - they do actually have something on top now but the bases are AWFUL. Mine came out like a pita pizza. Don't get me wrong, knocking up a pita pizza for lunch is pretty great sometimes but I sure as shit don't go out and pay money for one. They seem to be trying pretty hard to emulate a pretty obvious competitor and they are failing miserably.

Some blokes I work with are organising a bus trip to the peninsula with a stop at Mornington Peninsula Brewery. I see that the address is the same as the Pig and Whistle Tavern. Is the old tavern still there or has the brewery taken over the site?
After reading this thread I see that the MPB got some good reviews for their beer, has any body visited lately and what was it like?
Cheers

Just as well you asked, it's no where near the old Pig & Whistle. It's in the industrial area of Mornington. The address is 72 Watt Road, Mornington, VIC, 3931.
My write up of it and a link are here: http://rick.besserdin.com/?p=252

Latest posts

Back