Mornington Peninsula Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 days to go. Will be there Friday afternoon for a couple.

Down in Mornington visiting a friend who just had a bub and managed to convince the Missus that it would be a good idea to call in.

Glad I did - AG was brewing (haven't seen him since the old Goat days) and had a good chat. Tasted the upcoming IPA from the tank - kick arse beer!!

Sampled what was available on tap - thought that the porter was outstanding and the pick of the bunch.

Will definitely be dropping in again next time I am out this way.

Brendo

Managed to get down to the brewery tonight. Man, do they need a carpark or what?

I've heard only good things (on average) but I was still pretty surprised at the quality of the beers. Loved the brown ale, the porter was very nice and, while it wasn't genuinely amazing, the AIPA shot right into my top 5 local AIPAs, Didn't enjoy the wit (but I never do so it could be great) and the kolsch was ordinary but I'll not hold it against them as I think it was the sorachi ace that rubbed me the wrong way. Pizzas were okay but I kinda don't like ordering a 4 cheese pizza and it coming out tasting like a cheese toastie (aka - put some bloody toppings on!).

I'll be rounding up some mates who like decent beers and heading back soon.

[EDIT: typographical error]

Got down to the MPB for my first visit today. Impressed, the pizzas were good, the beer was good, the band was good. Most importantly it was affordable $12 for a smallish handmade pizza using the witbier for the dough. $10 for a paddle of 4 beers... mine were Witbier-Delicous, Pale Ale-Good-Very Good Saison- The only one i didnt like, too cloudy not enough carbonation and no real distintive saison charatiristics, Brown Ale-As described, toffee and raisens on the nose then a very subtle chocolate caramel on the palate/Great beer.
Ventured forthwith and had a schooner size IPA for the good price of $7, this didnt let the side down, it was a top drop with no audasious use of hops but swirling and holding on the palate they were there in vast numbers.

All in all a real good place! Environment was bluesy and boozy, a bit off the beaten track but the place was full and the prices quite reasonable. :icon_cheers:

Biggups to Mornington Peninsula Brewery Crew.

Just heading off to the MP brewery for a few ales and a pizza with the wife and some friends. Can't wait to try the saison and more of the yummy IPA. They will be releasing the ales in bottles in a few weeks time, currently bottle conditioning the first batch.

Enjoyed a boozy afternoon there today, the band was great, the pizza was great, the beer was even better. Started with the paddle and ended up finishing the afternoon with a few pints of their Pale Ale and IPA. Can't believe I hadn't heard of the place before joining the AHB forums. Will definitely be going back, the missus loved the Pale, which is a bonus, but she can be the driver from now on!

Enjoyed a boozy afternoon there today, the band was great, the pizza was great, the beer was even better. Started with the paddle and ended up finishing the afternoon with a few pints of their Pale Ale and IPA. Can't believe I hadn't heard of the place before joining the AHB forums. Will definitely be going back, the missus loved the Pale, which is a bonus, but she can be the driver from now on!

Yeah agree a good place, the singer of the band wasnt the bloke with the funny shoes was it? She hated him...

Not sure about the shoes, I was up top, however, I did like the guy in the black trenchcoats small guitar/ukele type thingy. Not sure if it was the heat collecting up under the roof but I got pretty toasted, pretty quick!

I have to say I am really quite annoyed by the quality of the beer at the MPB at the moment and the variety! I live close to the brewery but not close enough to walk - well I could walk but it would be at least an hour and a half and I am sure I will bite the bullet and do it. I try and get in once a week just to keep an eye on what is going on, how they are progressing and of course check the quality of the beers and the service. I chat to AG about the beers, what he has been doing, give him bits of advice and an idea or two which he politely but firmly ignores (and for good reason). I chat to Matt about business and all things chili - did you know Matt is a real chili head as are the boys behind the bar - so if you have some real hot stuff - the hotter the better - take it down for him he loves it!!

Anyway back to my annoyance - They have too many bloody beers on tap and they are all too bloody good! Because I have to drive - I do have a wife and a daughter at driving age whom I have talked in to coming down once or twice but they get some what tired of me talking all things beer, brewing and food, go figure it is a brewery! So I have to drive myself down there which means ONE beer!!!Not only one but the porter and the IPA are out (apparently they are delicious) cos even a small one could tip you over the limit! I mean come on one beer....i do get around this by begging for tastings of the others just as a quality assurance test and I have been one of their first customers so I figure (they beg to differ) that my palate is in tune with their beers.

So I figure there are two things they could do to hellp me out with my problem

1: brew some bad beers then I wont feel like I am missing out
2: just brew one beer then I will be happy with just having the one

If you guys could see your way in doing this for me I will no longer feel annoyed by the brewery.

And dont even get me started on the pizza's - I mean I ordered a four cheese pizza and it came with four bloody toppings!!!

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Hey Merc time to get the old pushie out!!!!!!! :icon_cheers:

Yes I have been considering getting pushie out.....but that could be very very dangerous because then I would have one of everything and one for the road and no doubt get lost on the way home or worse!

Yes I have been considering getting pushie out.....but that could be very very dangerous because then I would have one of everything and one for the road and no doubt get lost on the way home or worse!
What an adventure!!,thats a new TV series all by itself!

You can still lose your car license riding a pushie drunk...

But agree wholeheartedly with your post Merc, MPB make far too many good beers and having to drive means you can't taste 'em all...

An alternative is to bottle em I suppose :)

Maybe someone needs to suggest they start to stock/supply growlers?

That way you drive down, grab 2ltrs of each beer (and maybe 1 cheeky pot while you wait), a takeaway pizza or two and have a very nice session back at home.

Cheers SJ

And dont even get me started on the pizza's - I mean I ordered a four cheese pizza and it came with four bloody toppings!!
Pig's arse. Those pizzas are boring as. Pretty dusty too.

Ah, I get it now. It's all a ploy to sell more beer.

The pizza's at $12 do the job they are designed for - an accompaniment to a few beers while at the brewery. How ever I am sure they will take your critique Bum into account as they are presently considering a winter menu change.

They have begun bottling I think four of their standards - Pale, Wit, Porter and one more I cannot remember because I can never bloody have a glass of it and they are also looking at doing Growlers soonish.

So really I have nothing to complain about .....except I would like to go down for more then one!

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the price. $12 when there's not really any competition can't be sneezed at but I can take or leave the food, to be honest. I'm there for the beer and that's more than good enough to bring me back. However, a bit of a shake-up on the menu might keep my SWMBO a bit more interested when we go. Watching me sink pint after pint grows tiresome apparently (unthinkable though this idea is to me).

Latest posts

Back