Mornington Peninsula Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merc,

Saw this on BeerMe

Pig & Whistle Tavern
365 Purves Road
Main Ridge 3928
Telephone: +61 (03) 5989 6130

Some Choice Beer Names: Big Pig Amber Ale, Left Knacker, Pigs Arse, Pigs Twatter, Right Knacker, Split Knacker, Swollen Knacker

:lol:

Merc,

Saw this on BeerMe

Pig & Whistle Tavern
365 Purves Road
Main Ridge 3928
Telephone: +61 (03) 5989 6130

Some Choice Beer Names: Big Pig Amber Ale, Left Knacker, Pigs Arse, Pigs Twatter, Right Knacker, Split Knacker, Swollen Knacker

:lol:

Nice venue but pretty average beer.

Hi Paul,

Stay tuned - very early days and will let you know when the owners are ready to announce.

Cheers,

Wes

Hi Paul,

Stay tuned - very early days and will let you know when the owners are ready to announce.

Cheers,

Wes

C'mon Wes, it is down my neck of the woods - and I have heard they are about to launch or at the very least have a beer out for sample in the next few weeks??

The little birdies are telling me it's a WA brewer that's behind this one.

Should be interesting.

Hopper.

The little birdies are telling me it's a WA brewer that's behind this one.

Should be interesting.

Hopper.

Colonial plans to/wants to/is trying to build a brewery in Cape Schank. This is a different operation.

Openning today at 3pm!!!

3 beers on tap - wit, pale and english bitter I think.

I will be there later this afternoon to have a sample - apparently the pizza oven will be fired up also.

web site - http://www.mpbrew.com.au/

Nice, actually almost right behind our company's HQ in Fuji Crescent. Will be there the week after next, look forward to trying a couple.

Cheers.

bugger was past there on the mon 27 only pig and whistle was there i know i was close to the opening was in a rush to see more stuff on the pen so i had to what till i got to warrnabool to try a micro

I popped in for a taste of their beers yesterday and will say I was pretty impressed. I expected good beers as Andrew is a good brewer but what I was impressed with was the fact that three beers on offer were the very first beers they brewed on the system - no trial brews no small batches just get in there brew a beer and serve it at the openning!! So well done guys.

The American Style Pale was really good - finishing a little on the dry and bitter side but I like the gentle hop character up front and the malt character on the palate.
The Wit I thought was the most out of balance of the beers - very cloudy with lots of corriander giving the beer a bit of a peppery bite. It also has some cummin in there which I quite like for it's earthiness but the beer needed a little more sweetnes to balance it out - perhaps a little more of the curuco peel to give it the fruit sweetness it needs to come up to the spice level.
The Brown Ale I quite like although I generaly do not like brown ale. It didnt match up to the blurb written for it as I thought it lacked the caramel and raisin tones they say it has and it also had too much of a chocolate note on the nose and a little in the palate. All that said - it may not be "to Style" but it is a very enjoyable beer and a very drinkable one.

Matt Bebe the owner told me he is very happy with the beers and said they feel they are around 85 - 90% there. I cant wait until they hit the 100% mark as the beers are good already so with a bit of tweaking and balancing I reackon they will be great!!

I must say the pizzas coming out of the wood/gas fired oven looked great. Simple toppings just right as an accompaniment to the beers.

All in all I reackon the place is going to do well especially if the numbers of people turning up to try the beers are any indication of how popular the place will be.

Congrats MPB and congrats to Matt, Andrew and all the shareholders!

... three beers on offer were the very first beers they brewed on the system - no trial brews no small batches just get in there brew a beer and serve it at the openning!
Matt Bebe the owner told me he is very happy with the beers and said they feel they are around 85 - 90% there. I cant wait until they hit the 100% mark as the beers are good already so with a bit of tweaking and balancing I reackon they will be great!!
Obviously the approach works for them (and I have no experience with that kind of thing) however I'd have thought that one would try to get the product as close to 100% before opening and to always try to present the best beer they can right from the start. I'm not sure I'm that 'inspired' to want to visit until they have at least a few batches down and have things working out as well as they obviously expect to in the future.

Obviously the approach works for them (and I have no experience with that kind of thing) however I'd have thought that one would try to get the product as close to 100% before opening and to always try to present the best beer they can right from the start. I'm not sure I'm that 'inspired' to want to visit until they have at least a few batches down and have things working out as well as they obviously expect to in the future.

I guess on a commercial level doing an 800 litre trial batch (that is the minimum the brew house will do) and throwing it away if it is not 100% or even 90% gets very costly and also begs the question - when is a beer 100% when do you not want to tinker with the beer, the recipe, the ingredients?? When is the beer good enough to serve/drink? The beers I had on Friday were certainly good enough and worthy to serve and for me to part with my dollars.

I am sorry my post has left you feeling less than inspired to go to the brewery and try the beers - I for one cant wait to get back there - part of what gives the micro brewery/local brewery its character is as a patron growing with it, helping to nurture it through support and feed back when asked - going on the journey in partnership with the brewery, the brewer and the staff. If you dont want to be there from the beginning then that is up to you but also I think you are missing out on a unique opportunity also.

That said let me be clear about MPB, I have been to many long running brew pubs with plenty of brewing experience that were serving beer that would at best rate 50% of the quality of the beers I had on Friday. Their beer is good , many breweries and brewers struggle over a period of time to get that last 5 or 10% that makes their beer great. These guys are on their way - do yourself a favour and get inspired enough to give them a go now.

cheers

I guess on a commercial level doing an 800 litre trial batch (that is the minimum the brew house will do) and throwing it away if it is not 100% or even 90% gets very costly and also begs the question - when is a beer 100% when do you not want to tinker with the beer, the recipe, the ingredients?? When is the beer good enough to serve/drink? The beers I had on Friday were certainly good enough and worthy to serve and for me to part with my dollars.

I am sorry my post has left you feeling less than inspired to go to the brewery and try the beers ...
It was as much an open question about the logic as anything else, and as I said I have no experience in that regard.
Of course you are right about not wanting to throw away a batch that is 'pretty good', but at the same time opens the possibility that the initial feedback will not be exceptional and hence it may impact repeat/new business. Either that or their business model is not targeted toward the kind of beer drinkers found on AHB - who can be quite vocal and blunt if they find something they don't like times. :)

I'm sure we'll be driving past sometime in the near future so pending permission from SWMBO we'll stop and have a look/drink, but it would be nice to know that what we get served is the best it can be (which under the circumstances is what we'd get).

...I am lucky enough to have Andrew Gow as a bloody good mate of mine, and one thing i can tell you is that his committment to his beers is faultless, he is , like all top brewers , amateur or pro, on an endless quest for a better beer...that will undoubtedly continue at MPB....I've met his boss Matt and these guys are in it for the long haul...we here at Stone & Wood are on that same endless quest...our own challenge now is to keep up with the demand for our beer, which is a pleasing problem to have...all the while with our eyes on the prize which is to make the best beer we possibly can day after day...

...it's most likely impossible to start with perfection in any field of endeavour anywhere...otherwise, how the hell do you improve...???

...And spare a thought for AG folks, after the Saints going down yesterday, he'll have had a great day followed by a fairly crappy one...

Cheers
Scott

Colonial plans to/wants to/is trying to build a brewery in Cape Schank. This is a different operation.

Your research is sound - didn't know it was at Cape Schank.

By all reports Colonial brews a nice drop - and quite hard to find in Victoria. A handful of places sell it, but never had a chance to give it a go.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back