Morgans Yukon Brown ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdack

Reaction score
1st time poster, long time lurker....

#1 Brew worked a treat (Morgans Amber + Amber LME + Fuggles tea bag)

#2 Brew isn't looking so good .... It's a Morgans Yukon Brown Smokey ale with 500g Dextrose / 250g Light Malt / 250g Maltodextrin (I think, can't remember which bag exactly the HBS gave me)

Anyway, added can and kilo to fermenter with some hot water, stirred, added cold tap water for 23L. Original gravity 1038. Pitched yeast at around 22/24 degrees.

During fermentation I had a bit of trouble keeping the temp down, it was sitting around the 20/22 degree point for most of the time. Also there was an air leak around the air lock rubber bung thingy, not too worried about that though as there was still enough pressure to bubble the air lock, just not as vigourously as I would have liked. Foam did appear on the top during fermentation.

After about 5 days bubbling had pretty much ceased. After 7 days SG had dropped to 1020, left it another 3 days until I had an SG of 1017 on two consecutive days. Beer cleared up significantly during the last 3 or 4 days.

So I put the beer into my keg (first kegged beer too) and left it in the fridge for two days to cool, connected gas and followed the "Ross" method of carbonation. Wasn't too happy with the initial carbonation so I set pressure @ 250KPa and left it sit in the fridge for 2 more days. Carbonation seems a little better.

Now for the problem.... The beer tastes very syrupy/sweet.

Did I stuff it up by pitching the yeast with the temp too high and the with the fermentation temp so high?
Is it likely to improve if left in the keg in the fridge for a while?
Is that just how this type of beer is meant to taste?
Is all lost?

1st time poster, long time lurker....

#1 Brew worked a treat (Morgans Amber + Amber LME + Fuggles tea bag)

#2 Brew isn't looking so good .... It's a Morgans Yukon Brown Smokey ale with 500g Dextrose / 250g Light Malt / 250g Maltodextrin (I think, can't remember which bag exactly the HBS gave me)

Anyway, added can and kilo to fermenter with some hot water, stirred, added cold tap water for 23L. Original gravity 1038. Pitched yeast at around 22/24 degrees.

During fermentation I had a bit of trouble keeping the temp down, it was sitting around the 20/22 degree point for most of the time. Also there was an air leak around the air lock rubber bung thingy, not too worried about that though as there was still enough pressure to bubble the air lock, just not as vigourously as I would have liked. Foam did appear on the top during fermentation.

After about 5 days bubbling had pretty much ceased. After 7 days SG had dropped to 1020, left it another 3 days until I had an SG of 1017 on two consecutive days. Beer cleared up significantly during the last 3 or 4 days.

So I put the beer into my keg (first kegged beer too) and left it in the fridge for two days to cool, connected gas and followed the "Ross" method of carbonation. Wasn't too happy with the initial carbonation so I set pressure @ 250KPa and left it sit in the fridge for 2 more days. Carbonation seems a little better.

Now for the problem.... The beer tastes very syrupy/sweet.

Did I stuff it up by pitching the yeast with the temp too high and the with the fermentation temp so high?
Is it likely to improve if left in the keg in the fridge for a while?
Is that just how this type of beer is meant to taste?
Is all lost?

Don't worry too much about the airlock. There will have been enough CO2 in there to keep it ok.
Consider yourself it tastes sweet. I bottled one of these 10 months or so ago and it still tastes like I'm licking an ashtray :angry:

Back