Morgans Unhopped Wheat Malt Discontinued.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfresh

Reaction score
I have been told by my LHBS that Morgans unhopped wheat malt is no longer available and looking at their site it seems it is no longer listed there either.
Im aware that Coopers have the same but its in 1.5kg cans and too messy to split up.
Anyone aware of places in SE Melb that you can get 1kg lots of wheat malt?

I thought it would be better to have 1.5kg of liquid wheat malt, since it equates to roughly the same gravity as 1kg of LDME (...I'm getting my maths right there, aren't I?)

I thought it would be better to have 1.5kg of liquid wheat malt, since it equates to roughly the same gravity as 1kg of LDME (...I'm getting my maths right there, aren't I?)

Appears Morgans feel the same way - I got this reply today after requesting confirmation....

following requests from Customers we are currently revising our
Range of MasterBlends and Unhopped Malts and we will be releasing shortly a
new range - the Master Malt range in 1.5kg cans.
This range will be available late in April, there have been some delays with
labels, now resolved - due to some unforeseen factors.
Included in the new revised range will be the Master Malt Wheat - so be
assured that this well liked ingredient will continue to be available

OK - so ill start using 1.5kg in my Dr Smurto's JSGA and see what happens....

Wow, a company increasing the size of its containers... been a while since that's happened

There was another thread about this a couple of weeks back. It seems that the size increase is due to them not being able to get the 1kg tins any more.

If you want to convert to cooper's wheat malt, bear in mind that it's half barley, so only 750g actual wheat.

I have been told by my LHBS that Morgans unhopped wheat malt is no longer available and looking at their site it seems it is no longer listed there either.
Im aware that Coopers have the same but its in 1.5kg cans and too messy to split up.

I was at Cellar plus today - one in North melbourne and one in Coburg. Both stores had tins of Morgans wheat LME. They also sell dry wheat malt extracts (a couple of varieties I think but don't quote me).

They also have a store in Clayton but I have no idea of the stock situation.

If you want to convert to cooper's wheat malt, bear in mind that it's half barley, so only 750g actual wheat.

Anyone know what barley/wheat ratio is in Morgans Wheat extracts?

Kev

http://www.firststatebrewers.com/brewtips/maltextract.php AND wheat details

Master Blends: (1 KG Specialty Blends)

Beer Enhancer (2-row Pale extract, Glucose, and Honey; 1.2 EBC)
Lager Malt (100% 2-row Lager malt; 2.4 EBC)
Caramalt (60% Caramalt and 40% Pale malt; 12 EBC)
Dark Crystal Malt (60% Dark Crystal and 40% Vienna malt; 38.4 EBC)
Wheat Malt (60% Wheat and 40% Pilsner malt; 3.2 EBC)
Chocolate Malt (15% Chocolate and 85% Munich malt; 21.6 EBC)
Roasted Black Malt (12% Roasted Black malt and 88% Munich malt; 50.8 EBC)

the brew and grow shop on warrigal rd has wheat lme in 500g and1,1.5 kilo tins for memory. it is the one just up the road from brew craft in clayton. the prices were extremely cheap to but i dont know what the actual turnover is like there so it may not be the freshest. if nothing else at least you have the tittie car wash just over the road.

Most liquid extracts are 80% solids so a 1.5 kg tin of LME would be closer to 1.2kg DME I think.

It needs to be confirmed but Ive heard that a large section of the canning line at morgans clapped out a few weeks ago and supply of most product has slowed. I assume they would concentrate on supply of the most popular kits and have to make do with what machines are still working or whatever they could use temporarily. This could be why the less popular lines ie; wheat, unhopped, crystal, etc, in the smaller cans have taken a back seat for now. Either way a short delay of supply can be expected, which Coopers will love, and to add insult to injury,Morgans sold @ $9.50 Coopers is $11.50 from my LHB store for 1kg. When back in full production whether the can size has changed from 1kg to 1.5 or even 1.7 and back to 1kg again shouldnt be that much of a drama except for price.
As I say not 100% firm fact but strange this thread came up a week or so after I heard a whisper. Can anyone confirm for what its worth?
:icon_cheers: Daz

(No, I dont have any affiliation with either Morgans or Coopers Im just a consumer)

Anyone know what barley/wheat ratio is in Morgans Wheat extracts?

Kev

Hi Kevo just read this thread, a few days to slow but for AHBs info thought Id post

I have a little booklet from Morgans that has details but its quite old, it has details on rice malt which I think was discontinued several years ago. Anyway this is what it has on Master blend wheat malt.

"Will impart a wheaten grainy flavor to the finished beer. Pale in color it really boosts the head on any beer. Suitable for use with Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat kit or wheat malt base , but can also be used with any of the kits or bases to impart the above mentioned beer characteristics.
Contains 60% Wheatmalt 40%Pilsner maltbeing800g Wheat malt grain and 550g Pilsner malt grain.
Color added - 1kg Master blend in 23litres 3.2 ebc."
Hope this helps a little :icon_cheers:
Daz

Latest posts

Back