More Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullys brew

Reaction score
My brew(Coopers Cervesa) that I put down on Tues, has been bubbling away nicely
but slowed yesterday & has basically stopped today. It's been sitting around 22C. I forgot to do a reading at the start, but have just done one now which is about 1012 (or just over 1010). Is this about normal??

Also can I leave the beer in fermenter for about another 4 or 5 days till ready to bottle(after 2 of the same reading of course) or do I have 2 bottle straight away. Will it hurt to let it sit for a while as some people have told me I can let it sit for 2 weeks & let it clear???

I also gave the airlock a quick sniff (lol) & noticed that I had a slight gassy smell, is this normal or is it a sign of infection??. I did have a taste from the test jar & it tastes ok. Will the smell dissapear with bottling & maturation??

you can leave it for a while without any issues. most of my ales are left to ferment for 2-3 weeks before bottling. lagers are about 3-4 weeks fermenting then another couple cold conditioning before bottling.

the gassy smell is probably the CO2 the beer is producing. you may also get some wierd smells because your brewing at 22C. a cervesa (which is a lager style beer) should be brewed at about 10C-12C. Of course if you didnt use lager yeast then you making an ale. So dont expect it to taste too much a corona or larger. that being said, as a general rule you should try and brew coller than that 22C anyway. aim for 18C (unless your doing belgian ales etc where you want fruit flavours coming out because of the higher brewing temp).

you may want to have a read of some of the starting out guides that are on the site, to get a better idea of brewing methodology.

as for FG 1.010 is about right for K&K. Im taking a guess as you havent listed the ingredients. differant ingrediants will alter the OG and FG.

also have a look at this (Thirstyboy's tips on K&K brewing)

this too (AHB FAQ for new brewers)

and have a look in the K&K section (im assuming your doing K&K not AG) and do a search or read anything that says 'noobie questions'. It probably covers a heap of the questions your going to ask.

I also suggest you check out some brewing books (just do a search on 'brewing books'). theres heaps on the site.

also maybe check out John Palmers how to brew

Paully

follow all the advise given
you cant harm your beer by leaveing it up to 3 weeks
the temp is a bit high so work on getting it lower for the next brew
1012 is good as long as it doesn't continue to move and you have a true reading

good luck

Thanks Kleiny

Will deinately follow all advice. Gotta learn somehow & the more knowledge the better..
A bit concerned about the sulphur (rotten egg) like smell coming from airlock though. Bubbling has stopped after 3 days.
As stated above I tasted from the test jar this morn. & smell seemed 2 clear a bit after a minute & tasted ok. Is this normal & will it be ok to bottle, will the smell dissapear with maturation, or will it get worse.

Thanks Kleiny

Will deinately follow all advice. Gotta learn somehow & the more knowledge the better..
A bit concerned about the sulphur (rotten egg) like smell coming from airlock though. Bubbling has stopped after 3 days.
As stated above I tasted from the test jar this morn. & smell seemed 2 clear a bit after a minute & tasted ok. Is this normal & will it be ok to bottle, will the smell dissapear with maturation, or will it get worse.

Some yeasts throw off all sorts off smells - Sulphur is perfectly normal and shouldnt be in your final bottled product.

RM

the coopers cervesa kit comes with a mixed strain ale + lager yeast, so its perfectly normal to have sulphur smells coming from it.

Guys,

Got a question re the coopers mexican cervaza kit. The first one we did a few brews ago turned out OK but did not really taste as we would have expected. We have just started our 2nd go at it, unfortunately after starting this brew I came accross a recipe to add 200gms corn syrup to make it more like the commercial mixican beer many drink - any thoughts on adding next time to the off the shelf kit.

Cheers
Andrew

Back