Moon Dog

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doombrewer

Reaction score
Tried a few different bottles of the Moon Dog breweries beers last night. Was quite impressed, especially their India Brown Ale 'Henry Ford's Girthsome Fjord' amazing beer, would have the be the best brown ale I've ever tried.

Anyone else tried their stuff yet?

Ive tried the Cognac IPA, a Porter (maybe a stout i was half cut) and the preverse sexual amalgam.

The IPA was great and had characteristics that reminded me of Dog Fish Head 120 IPA.
The porter was very nice, no real memorys of flavour as i had it at the same time as the
perverse sexual amalgam.

It was way to bretty funky for me.
I like orval and the brett flavours in it but this was overload. I couldn't stop tasting it but didn't really enjoy it.

I tried their pumpkin porter on tap a bit over a month ago and it was one of the most impressive beers I've had in recent memory. Very interested to try more from them.

Perverse Sexual Amalgam is a great beer. Good to see an aussie brewery stepping over to the dark side and exploring the world of Sours. A nice lactic pucker and my mate Brett, bringing the funk like Ben Harper. The cherry plum fruityness came through, and it cut through my palate fatigue leter in the night of the Crafty Pint's birthday at Fed Square.
Apparently the brewers would have liked even more lemonfaced sourness, but I reckon it's a nice solid introduction. Looking forward to more like it.

I've had the double IPA, couldn't believe that thing was 10%! Would have you falling off a chair in no time, it was a great tasting drop to me. Gonna have to get my hands on the rest.

Just picked up the Black lung Peat Smoke bourbon barrel Stout and the belgian-amercian amber ale.

will report

The DIPA I had had micro issues, underattenuated, no water salt balance, flat and would have sat perfect as a bjcp beer fault example. Don't mind the concept, but still some ways for them to go technically ...

Having a look at the beers they make I don't think they have much regard what the BJCP think.

Probably why I liked them in the first place.

Haven't had the beer you mention, of course.

Yeah I was indecisive on the Perverse Sexual Amalgam, it was good for what it is, I havn't had many sour styled beers so havnt really got the taste for it to know a good/bad one, but I didn't mind it, found it pretty interesting.

Definitely an interesting brewery to keep an eye on, dig what they're doin thus far.

They certainly dont have much regard for what the BJCP think - which is unfortunate, because the BJCP catalogue both styles to aim for AND faults to look out for - and while the moondog guys have avoiding style down to a fine art, they aren't quite so adept at avoiding basic brewing faults.

A case study for getting ambitions mixed up with abilities - Assuming you guys who can forgive the faults because of the adventurous attitude keep them in business that long, I'll revisit them in a couple of years when they've had a chance to develop some brewing techniques that can match their "give the beer a ridiculous name" techniques.

I'll revisit them in a couple of years when they've had a chance to develop some brewing techniques that can match their "give the beer a ridiculous name" techniques.
Seems to stop people noticing that BrewDog and Stone's beers are nearly all rough as guts so it will probably serve Moon Dog well enough too.

As I say, I've only had the one beer of Moon Dog's and aside from some warming alc (which some may see as a flaw, I didn't) I couldn't see a great deal wrong with it. I'll approach their other beers with some scepticism.

Latest posts

Back